Why become a member? ×

Rock getting a shot in the arm from non-English speaking bands

What with Rammstein kicking ar$e at MK, Gojira recently going down a storm at Glasto and Manchester, Babymetal tearing it up everywhere they go, Lovebites now in the ascendant. Thanks to non-English speaking acts rock's getting a much needed shot in the arm.  My tip for a band to get a lot more attention are these Mongolian fellas combining trad throat singing. This is my current (welcome) earworm

2 minutes ago, bartelby said:

But non English rock has always existed, you just had to look for it.

I think it's more a case of the wider audience, promoters, media have finally begun to accept non English language music.

Yeah that was kinda the implicit meaning in the OP. These non-English speaking bands have all been touring Europe and the US and are pulling in big crowds at festivals

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

What with Rammstein kicking ar$e at MK, Gojira recently going down a storm at Glasto and Manchester, Babymetal tearing it up everywhere they go, Lovebites now in the ascendant. Thanks to non-English speaking acts rock's getting a much needed shot in the arm.  My tip for a band to get a lot more attention are these Mongolian fellas combining trad throat singing. This is my current (welcome) earworm

interesting - still no substitute for bass though, is there ?

3 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yeah that was kinda the implicit meaning in the OP. These non-English speaking bands have all been touring Europe and the US and are pulling in big crowds at festivals

ah, ok.

my only excuse is that I now have the low rumble of T'PAU sound checking that's breaking my concentration...

6 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

We invented it,seemed to have lost our way a bit in favour of other styles ,they loved it in numbers and have brought it back to sell to us 

This sounds like the British Invasion of the USA in the 1960s, but we are on the receiving end this time 🙂

Some decades ago I saw the Sugarcubes in Brum, support band were fellow Icelanders who performed entirely in their native language as I seem to recall. Impressed me enough at the time to buy their album from the merch stall on the way out, I know I still have it somewhere lol

There have indeed always been excellent rock bands outside of English speaking countries, whom you could only find out about initially through niche interest 'zines/tape trading and later forums. Now the internet has reached ubiquity in our lives it's inevitable that this sort of cultural cross-pollination will occur. 

And everyone will be the better for it! I personally found my horizons massively expanded when delving into the Japanese new-prog movement in the late 90's/early 00's and if more people discover bands like Boredoms, Ruins or Zeni Geva then who knows where music will go next? 

Edited by Dapper Bandit
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dapper Bandit said:

There have indeed always been excellent rock bands outside of English speaking countries, whom you could only find out about initially through niche interest 'zines/tape trading and later forums. Now the internet has reached ubiquity in our lives it's inevitable that this sort of cultural cross-pollination will occur.

Plug for my favourite French band from the late 70s and early 80s, Téléphone