Why become a member? ×

Jedson Tele Bass

nick-harman

11 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That looks in great condition for a bass that’s over 45 years old, nice one 👍

It's not brilliant tbh, one of the bridge height adjusters is partly snapped and partly missing, of the 3 remaining neck screws one has snapped flush with the heel and there are several rounded screw heads.

However, it'll look great on the wall!

Edit - it's also filthy 🤢

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Me again, Ive been away

I have to say I like the Jedson's various sounds. It seems very loud to me and playing with the pickup selection gives a range of tones. The tone pot seems mostly bring up a hum (cured if you touch the strings) and more volume

Ive been mucking about playing everything from Cure to U2, Dr Feelgood to Elvis Costello and I now know I like the shortscale fpr playability.

I'd need to play with a guitarist and drummer to discover whether the Jedson's sound is actually okay or just my bias!

N

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s groovy, how did it sound 🙂

Pants. It was really a guitar amp. It had  an 8" speaker in the top section and an 8" or 10" elliptical in the bottom. I blew both within three months. The old boy bought it for me as a Chrissy present. He wasn't to know there were bass and guitar amps.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Pants. It was really a guitar amp. It had  an 8" speaker in the top section and an 8" or 10" elliptical in the bottom. I blew both within three months. The old boy bought it for me as a Chrissy present. He wasn't to know there were bass and guitar amps.

This was my first amp, about 1977/8 , HH  ic 100 s which I used to play my jedson through in my first reggae band 🙂

513D9C2E-E7B6-498B-A295-48E4FE09FA7B.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

This was my first amp, about 1977/8 , HH  ic 100 s which I used to play my jedson through in my first reggae band 🙂

What a small world. That was my Number 3, after a WEM Dominator. I had the 2 x 15" cab to go with it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just a catch up. I am still using the Jedson. With the two on or off pickups I have 3 tone options as well as the tone master pot.

I dunno, I like the sounds it makes now it has new roundwounds on it. The E is a bit lacking in sustain but I am sure that's to do with an adjustment I don't know to to make.

I bought a stingray copy too, but it is physically impossible for me to get the fretting with my left hand.

The Jedson has a lot of character and cuts through even on 15W. I can only imagine how it will sound when I play Wembley through a giant PA

🙂

N

PS I  want to try and sell the Stingray copy and get a Gretsch Junior Jet

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 13/07/2019 at 21:02, Bassassin said:

I'm in the unenviable position of knowing more about this sort of thing that anyone reasonably ought to.

Most of that knowledge is so crushingly dull that I'd probably be risking a ban by sharing it uninvited, so I'll excercise uncharacteristic self-restraint and keep it largely to myself.

However, I'll leave this here:

4457_bass.thumb.jpg.a34fd0d71e6e8b26b261b58d417ccf4f.jpg

The number at the bottom is what this cost new, in 1971-ish, but happily, despite these basses being utter, utter rubbish, this sort of thing really does happen these days:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1970s-Tele-Telecaster-Bass-Guitar-MADE-IN-JAPAN-Teisco-Jedson-Zenta-/273901924005

So get it sold, and buy something that will make you want to play, not kill yourself with frustration!

Kinda disagree about it being rubbish....

if set up right, you can get some nice ‘short-scale’ tone from these. I have one that I’m now parting with (not a reason for my reply)and I enjoyed it when the playability part of it was sorted.

Just thought that I’d defend them a bit....

My belief is anything (within reason😉) can be sorted with a bit of thought and TLC. 
Don’t shoot me😇

0A82CF6D-F459-48B9-95AB-74889DA38B08.jpeg

Edited by Bass Wielder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years ago I bought one of these off ebay for around 45 quid. It had that beat up vintage vibe I thought was cool. I didn't know it was short scale until I got the package! Why I thought it was full scale from the photos I've no idea, but I did! 

Sold it on for a few quid profit, but kinda wish I kept it! 

On 10/08/2019 at 09:42, Reggaebass said:

This brought back some memories. My first big rig was a HH valve sound 100 head like this, & matching 2x15 cab, back in 1988/89 IIRC it's been a while.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, luckman67 said:

This brought back some memories. My first big rig was a HH valve sound 100 head like this, & matching 2x15 cab, back in 1988/89 IIRC it's been a while.

I also had the matching 2x15 cab luckman, it was a great rig in its day 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I also had the matching 2x15 cab luckman, it was a great rig in its day 👍

Yup , me too.

During my time at Uni in Cardiff I had a part-time job in Sound Centre who happened to be the franchise dealer for HH.

Started with a HH head driving 2 x Hiwatt 4x12 and a HH Slave driving a Marshall 1x18 sound bouncer. Absolutely awesome thunderous rig. When the HH 2x15 started shipping I replaced the Hiwatt & Marshall cabs with 2x HH 2x15 cabs. Huge sound and easily transported as the HH 2x15 cabs had clip-on protective front panels. Can't quite recall which speakers HH used but they had aluminium looking centre dust dome covers, similar in appearance to JBL K range drivers.

Happy days 😎

• Like 1

On 11/04/2020 at 16:42, Elfrasho said:

Years ago I bought one of these off ebay for around 45 quid. It had that beat up vintage vibe I thought was cool. I didn't know it was short scale until I got the package! Why I thought it was full scale from the photos I've no idea, but I did! 

Sold it on for a few quid profit, but kinda wish I kept it! 

Could be your lucky day then...

• 3 years later...

Hi . I’ve just bought one of these that was so beaten up. Like you I’ve stripped it down and in the process of cleaning and rewiring it. However I’m a bit puzzled about the string length. Short scale strings even seem a bit long for it. The strings it had were flat would but had been cut back. Any idea? TIA Pete

Have a look at this thread:

I'd recommend you getting this bass: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_shorty_sbk_standard_series.htm

image.thumb.png.b73bfe93c7964569a71992671b05519b.png

Short scale, great quality, and only 105£/119Euro, from new, with 30 days full return/money back guarantee, and 3 years insurance.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_shorty_sbk_standard_series.htm