Why become a member? ×

NBD! and start new "Super Squier" build...

Bassdude BE

"Super-Squier" build VI

So, I picked up a heavily neglected Squier VM 5string Precision today...

The action was so high you could do a limbo dance under the strings, but after a few turns on the trussrod and lowering the bridge saddles the bass actually sounded and played pretty good. At this point I decided to put on a set of fresh Elixir strings and Hipshot tuners that I had lying around.

Then suddenly a few hours later I realised that it was already past midnight and that I had started a complete rebuild of the bass..🧐

At this point I've already shielded the cavities with copper tape, replaced the stock tuners with Hipshot HB-7's, replaced the stock bridge with a Fender Hi-mass bridge and redid some of the wiring.

Since I've done all this already I'm probably going to go all the way on this rebuild and make this my 6th "Super-Squier" build.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to make it a fretless or just have the frets leveled, that's something I'll figure out tomorrow.

Pickup choices for 5 string precision basses are fairly limited, so I'll probably drop a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 in there or have Carey Nordstrand build me a custom pickup.
(Ofcourse the jack, tone cap and pots will be replaced by high quality parts as well.)

Any tips on alternative pickup choices are more than welcome. 1f642.png?_nc_eui2=AeFJZF14L-AKeiioFJDMq:)

Anyway, I'm going to call it quits for the day and will continue the rest of the modding process tomorrow. I'm planning on getting a double string tree, one for the B-E strings and one for the A-G strings to give the Low B a little more beef and I have some more ideas going through my head, but I'll save those for the next update on this build.

That's it for now, keep groovin' me brethren. ✌️😎

DSC00340.thumb.JPG.f1f55cac30755d85987ada20557e8ec8.JPGDSC00319.thumb.JPG.108096da6dac6463d05f5b03f5d9e575.JPGDSC00329.thumb.JPG.f9da4b205e193b885d2e6d98b3930e4b.JPGDSC00320.thumb.JPG.0d1cf67c9a023d0f1df7ad5dd028264c.JPGDSC00336.thumb.JPG.0f39915f13ff248acd6b4c0d6e09e90f.JPGDSC00346.thumb.JPG.760447b347da730d27f110953671ef31.JPG✌️😎

Edited by Bassdude BE
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I quite like that look sometimes, it’s like a racing stripe!

But it looks like there is a grounding wire anyway, does it need both?

I was thinking the exact same thing, there's clearly a wire in the pictures heading towards the bridge. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I quite like that look sometimes, it’s like a racing stripe!

But it looks like there is a grounding wire anyway, does it need both?

6 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I was thinking the exact same thing, there's clearly a wire in the pictures heading towards the bridge. 

I'm just a bit OCD when it comes to shielding and stuff.. 😛 

I know the bass doesn't need it, but it sure doesn't do any harm and I kinda like that vintage 70's look (all my 70's style jazz basses have the copper strip thing as well)... 😎

Edited by Bassdude BE

6 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Instead of 2 string trees there is the Sandberg which does it all.

Pick ups - so many out there like SD, Nordy’s, Lindy Fralin

So out of left field - 

Haüssel

Ulyate Tic tac’s

Joe Barden 

Creamery

There you go!

Thanks a lot!

I already checked some reviews of the Ulyateand Creamery pickups, but but it seems they are quite hard to find around here.

Creamery - based in Manchester and give him a shout - he’ll let you know what the wait time is and what is in stock.

Ulyate will be an import.

Ironstone based in the Midlands are very decent pick ups and could do a job, heard them in action.

Wizard pick ups are now called hot rod and are continuing his work to spec and are U.K. based - I have a Thumper P bass pick up and it’s hot hot nice.

A few more options there

• Like 1

Thanks,

I've always loved the Wizard pickups in my jazz basses, so I might have to check these thumper pickups out..

If I don't end up with a wizard, it will probably be a Creamery pickup. Thanks for all the tips and advice!

Meanwhile I've had the frets leveled and gave the bass a decent set-up, I'll need to file down the bridge saddle for the G string a little bit as the bridge doesn't allow me to go any lower and I like a low action,

but other than that this bass is starting to play and sound a lot better than f.e. all the Sire basses I've owned so far, so I'm looking forward to the end result with the new pickup and a nice set of flatwounds installed. :) (I've put a set of Elixir roundwounds on it for now as I got them for free when I bought  the bass, but I'm more of a flatwound/tapewound kinda guy, all that high end zing just confuses me.. 😛 )

• Like 1

Aguilar do nice 5 string P pickups as well.

Also worth seeing if Yamaha will sell you their pups on their own as frankly whatever comes standard in my BB735 sounds amazing. I’d suggest doing the same with Maruszczyk who don’t seem to advertise their pickups as standalone purchases but they sound pretty phenomenal from the demos I’ve heard.