Why become a member? ×

Oldest musical possession

Mickeyboro

Oops!

I just reread the OP and realized that I talked about my old guitar and banjo and that guitars were not included in the topic, I saw bass but missed the guitar in the OP. I usually get upset when other people do things like this and I am suitably contrite, sorry about that. Must read more carefully.🙄

I guess the straps for both those instruments would be OK for this topic, I made them myself when I bought each instrument. I also have a few late '60's Gibson guitar strings in the old paper envelopes that for some reason I never used but stayed in the case all these years and also the original case for the banjo.

Edited by Staggering on

I have a lot of largely useless and superannuated musical junk, but I think the oldest is a Boss SD-1 Super Distortion stomp box, which must date back to mid '81. Bought it when I started dabbling with guitar, trying to write songs. It probably still works - haven't plugged it in in a while but see no reason why it wouldn't.

Still have its original box & manual, too.

Alternatively, sell it and have a nice holiday. Japanese Boss pedals command a premium, old and boxed ones even more so. I think the cardboard traps the tone and mixes it with the space-time mojo and then they sound better than the same pedal not old and boxed. There is a hipster somewhere who doesn’t know he needs this in his life yet. To ebay with you!

• Haha 2

I wouldn't sell the SD-1, it does sound nice and I might use it one day. However - I also have a CS-1 compressor, which is totally useless to me, and I only still have that one because they take up such little room.

That one's even older - I bought it second-hand, I should probably flip it & buy a boat or something. It's got the Silver Screw & everything! :lol:

Hmmm... wonder what a Pearl OC-07 Octaver goes for these days?

I've got a Pandora's Box dated from early 90s?  You could record on this device and it has a load of bass lines stored but I doubt I'll ever hear them again.

I have a Fender strap, which came with a bass I bought new in 1976.

I'm sure I've got other stuff that I never use ...

Davo

9 hours ago, songofthewind said:

I’ve got an Ovation Balladeer I bought in 1975.

And a STAINLESS STEEL plectrum from round about that time too.

It’s never worn out, funnily enough.

Early 80s, this one. The hole was just to see if my paper punch could do it:

image.thumb.png.1629ca6791d2546535a6d914926fc6ab.png

I have various things i have owned since the early 80s -

a couple of pedals - a Shin-Ei fuzz box & a 60s Vox Wah Swell 

a Tama Flexi Flyer which is still my go to pedal whenever I get behind the kit

Two brass knobs off a 1980ish Ibanez Blazer 6 string which have been on my bitsa P for the last few years