Why become a member? ×

Oldest musical possession

Mickeyboro

I would need to check in the loft to see if I did actually throw out the now 31 year old tin of FastFret that I got when I got my first guitar at 19 (I already had a bass at 18).

I just threw out the strap they I bought at the  same time when I got my Rickenbacker (which I still have, and it was 13 years old then) but I still have the Jim Dunlop strap locks - bit battered by time but still working fine. So 31 year old strap locks 

Edited by Monkey Steve

Somewhere in the depths of a box of old bits, I still have the original cable that came with my first proper bass.  Mid-70s.  It's a bit crackly and the rubber has perished a bit, but last time I plugged in with it, it worked OK.

Insofar as instruments go, I have a mid-70s Epiphone FT-140 acoustic I bought new with some money my grandmother left me and a 1950s/60s Zenith Josh White parlour guitar that my mum procured for a couple of pounds at a Salvation Army jumble sale in the late 70s/early 80s.  While I have some oldish basses, these are fairly recent acquisitions.

Edited by NancyJohnson

32 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Somewhere in the depths of a box of old bits, I still have the original cable that came with my first proper bass.  Mid-70s.  It's a bit crackly and the rubber has perished a bit, but last time I plugged in with it, it worked OK.

Reminded me that I still have (and occasionally use) a couple of those grey Fender leads that used to come with their guitars and basses. Library pic below.  Nigh on indestructible!

Image result for grey fender guitar lead

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1

The oldest thing I'm still gigging with is my 30 years old Whirlwind instrument cable. It had a guarantee period of 25 years. That made me laugh at the time, but hey, they were right! It shares duty with my OBBM cable.

Oldest stuff that I've still got lying around. . . . the VOX name plate and front cloth, off my Foundation cab, circa 1966. Also a set of used Rotosound strings and a Framus Star bass bridge from the same era.  My shed is an Aladdin's cave of useless junk, if you are my wife, or what I would describe as a store of interesting memorabilia!

I also still have my Precision, which I bought new in March 1969, sitting in its case right behind me.

I have an Ozark acoustic bass, bought around 1998/1999 off a college friend for about £100 - this is in the days before cheap acoustic basses and they started at £350. Been everywhere with me from uni to spending an entire Summer living in a tent in Devon. Got defretted and fitted with black nylons a few years ago and it sounds better than ever IMO, not the greatest acoustic bass but always puts a smile on my face.

14 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

What have you owned the longest (not a bass or guitar) that still helps you make music?

Following this one to the letter, I probably can't count my very first (proper) bass amp, as I I haven't switched it on in months! (I have a feeling I even put it up on the "Recycling" listings as it's need of some more comprehensive repairs than I can perform...Laney Session 40 Bassman, anyone?)

So, I still have a Seiko chromatic tuner, which was in my case for every gig, probably up until the point that I bought a pedal tuner, and is still my go-to for tuning. Best of all, its low current demands meant that I could give knackered old 9V batteries a new lease of life by popping them into this tuner!

Was gonna say my 1988 Yamaha TX802 synth box and other similar items, but the thread taught me to think outside the module, so...

My school days recorder and my ca. 1970 flute. Used the flute just a few days ago, so I think that counts.

A couple of Ernie Ball plectra from c. 1978 which I still muck about with from time to time  and in the loft there's collection of Hohner Marine Band and Blues Harp harmonicas from the late 70s that have probably developed a rich and vibrant culture by now.

I still have my set of pitch pipes and my very first book I learnt from that my Dad got me just after he got my first bass for me. That would have been 1989. I still have my little Marshall bass amp too from the same year. The book I still use to teach with and the amp sometimes comes out for practicing, though it needs a service.

Edited by Dood

Guest oZZma

Still in use? A keyboard I asked for Christmas when I was 9 or 10, I think

IMG_20190712_202301.thumb.jpg.f1174c6225ef29f79ddf69c2b8181b00.jpg

I had older "musical" stuff (cassette player, toy snaredrums, harmonica, another smaller keyboard...) but they are all either lost or broken.

Edited by oZZma

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

The oldest thing I'm still gigging with is my 30 years old Whirlwind instrument cable. It had a guarantee period of 25 years. That made me laugh at the time, but hey, they were right! It shares duty with my OBBM cable.

Likewise. I have a pair of Whirlwind cables I must have bought in 1988 that have been gigged ever since and still get regular use.

I only just replaced a GK 2x10 cab that has done sterling service since 1993 with a Barefaced One10 about a month and a half ago.

The item I've had the longest, though, is a Marshall guitar amp I've had since 1982, but but I hardly ever play guitar these days so that lives in the loft.

Edit: I told a lie! I have a Stylophone that I got probably for a birthday or Xmas circa 1975.

Edited by cybertect

I bought this DOD FX 59 “Thrash Master” sometime in 1990, I think. It’s a terrible sounding thing on a guitar, for which it was designed. On a bass, however, the copious amount of low frequencies give a thick and meaty distortion which could level a village in the wrong hands.

FA6A51D9-85BD-445E-A7EE-548B59620A9C.jpeg

• Like 4

I have a Chinese violin, bought second-hand in the same academic year as I bought my first bass, 1975-76. I'm more likely to actually use a Roland D10 bought in about 1988 (the same year as I bought the bass and the acoustic guitar I've owned the longest).