Why become a member? ×

Pedal for 60s warm tubey Motown sound

Clarky

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close this thread (or at least my contribution to it), I really liked the DHA VT-1 Std valve pedal but quickly decided I wanted to replicate the sound through a 'one pedal solution' valve-driven preamp/DI (preferably with 9V capability) so I could take it on ampless/house rig gigs.

So I took a punt on the latest (9V driven) EBS Valvedrive and it fits the bill beautifully. Funnily enough the 'modern' setting sounds better to my ears than the 'vintage' one (which errs a bit on the muddy) but - at least for me, through my solid state Acoustic Image amp - this nails warm Motown as well as creamy OD (I am not interested in high gain distortion).

Thanks to all who contributed in this thread. I have ended up with a setup that works for me, although I realise it won't be for everyone. Cheers!

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jazzmaster62 said:

MojoMojo didn't work out?

TBH, I didn't even try it as the DHA valve pedal arrived first and I loved the sound. If it ain't broke ...

I just sold the TC still-boxed/unused on the Effects FS forum for a barg price 🙄

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/07/2019 at 23:16, jrixn1 said:

What is your bass?  (P bass with flats...)

Try a SolidGoldFX Beta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcDP4uYwKsI
(Not me.)

seconded. This pedal does a great imitation of a tube amp if you use it in preamp mode (no overdrive), very B15 sounding. And if you want a bit of hair on the note just flick the switch to add in the gain circuit.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2019 at 17:58, Clarky said:

Just to close this thread (or at least my contribution to it), I really liked the DHA VT-1 Std valve pedal but quickly decided I wanted to replicate the sound through a 'one pedal solution' valve-driven preamp/DI (preferably with 9V capability) so I could take it on ampless/house rig gigs.

So I took a punt on the latest (9V driven) EBS Valvedrive and it fits the bill beautifully. Funnily enough the 'modern' setting sounds better to my ears than the 'vintage' one (which errs a bit on the muddy) but - at least for me, through my solid state Acoustic Image amp - this nails warm Motown as well as creamy OD (I am not interested in high gain distortion).

Thanks to all who contributed in this thread. I have ended up with a setup that works for me, although I realise it won't be for everyone. Cheers!

I had to read all through that to see if anyone mentioned Dave Halls pedals!

Yeah I was going to suggest one but see you tried it :)

The DHA VT2 has the DI out and 2 x 12 AX7 tubes (with independent eq for each one) but as he's now sadly passed away they're quite hard to find.

Edited by skidder652003
  • Sad 1

Happy with my EBS Valvedrive but - as an addendum - Royal Mail managed to b*gger my DHA VT1 when I sold it on via the forum. Not sure if that speaks to the inherently greater fragility of valve-based pedals or simply incompetent, heavy handedness on the part of Royal Mail (but I know which side I would place my money on) 🙄

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2019 at 20:40, Jazzmaster62 said:

MojoMojo didn't work out?

I have just ordered another one of these 🙄 as the EBS Valvedrive - while fabulous - does not really fit on my super compact pedal board and also requires an additional power input (needs >700mA to drive the valve whereas my T Rex power supply delivers 120mA from each port).

... sooooo does anyone have a recommended setting on the Mojomojo for that [back to the OP!] warm, valvey Motown sound? :D

PS, I will be keeping the Valvedrive as it sounds fab, before anyone asks, just not for this particular pedalboard setup

I keep the gain fairly low around 9 o’clock. It’s a very dark sounding pedal so don’t be afraid to boost the treble further than you would normally on other pedals, mine’s at 3 o’clock. The switch in the up position sounds fatter, but the down position is also rather obese!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/07/2019 at 00:00, Ray Jones said:

If you're handy with a soldering iron (or know someone that is) you could build one of these. It's supposed to emulate an Ampeg SB-12 Portaflex. There's a few posts in the DIY thread.

https://www.musikding.de/ROG-Ginger-Ampsim-kit

I can't compare it to the real thing but I'm happy with mine. 

I had A RunOffGroove Ginger made for me by (the now defunct) VFE Pedals. It’s wonderful. The break up sounds like an old valve amp and I love the general character of its sound. 

The Mojo Mojo is amazing too, and a steal at the price. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Clarky

I use a Barber Electronics Linden it’s designed to emulate a B15 which is why I got it. I stick a Nightowl Industries Edison Valve Pre-amp in front of it and run it through an Audio Kitchen Valve Small Trees DI which has been modified with a Souter transformer.....

The Linden sounds great on it’s own.... Putting the Edison in front of it adds this extra valve syrup goodness....

ACME do a specific Motown DI which sounds ace as well. My friend Brian uses one on some of sessions in Nashville... He also has a new Ampeg 50watt valve head and he says that sounds wicked.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

No one has mention the Noble preamp, which Shaun Hurley describes as a B15 in a box. Though they are spendy at $1100. 

https://nobleamps.com/preamps/

I believe our residents @dodge_bass and @andybassdoyle use these, perhaps they can chime in. 

Yes the Nobel is ace for sure but given its costs (it’s crept up a fair bit since I got mine) I didn’t mention it. I absolutely love it and it works great for the type of stuff I record (funk / soul / rare groove). 

• Like 3

I’ve met Sean a few times and watched him record tracks in Sunset Sound in Los Angeles, he used his 60’s B15 the cab was miked in an isolated room can’t remember what the DI was but it wasn’t a Noble but this was back in 2014 - 2015.... Sounded amazing

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2019 at 11:46, Clarky said:

As an aside, I found a clip of the Tube Pilot. Not helped by the fact the guy's set up is already pretty warm and old school before he even engages the pedal. Seems to break up at pretty low levels (9 o'clock)

I listened to one of those and the guy was demoing it into an Ampeg SVT - doh!

• 10 months later...
7 hours ago, Bagman said:

Maybe a tough choice to find 

Free The Tone Bass Blaster OD

Precision / Flats 

The Free The Tone Black Vehicle bass drive is probably the closest I've got to the sound of an overdriven tube amp. A great and oddly heavy drive, but not in everyone's budget!

• Like 1

I'm always looking for a Motown type slightly overdriven tube tone from pedals. Best ones I've owned:

• DHA VT1 
  • Creation Audio Grizzly Bass 
  • Broughton Fliptop
  • Solid Gold FX Beta

...all of those are great and I kind of regret selling them (particularly the Grizzly).

I currently have a combination of One Control Crimson Red & One Control Hookers Green that sound good individually and combined. 

I've got my eye on the Acme Audio Motown D.I. but at £450 it's more than double the cost of any ot the things I listed above, I can't really justify that cost so have my eye out for them second hand. 

A pedal/DI is probably only a small part of the Motown sound though. Technique, P Bass, old Flatwound strings and their particular Motown DI/recording equipment are probably needed to compretely recreate it. As far as I know, although the B-15 is often what people think of for Motown Bass sound (and is what the Crimson Red and Broughton Fliptop emulate), the Motown recordings were actually via DI rather than a mic'd B-15. 

Edited by SumOne