Why become a member? ×

TNT 130 amp tinny crackle

Punkviking

Hey everyone, 

My amp seems to have picked up a tinny crackle a little like a screw rattling in the bottom of a tin can but it only seems to ring out a little after a note is played, it's an old amp and I ran a fairly powerful pre amp through it before however I have stopped in favour of a cleaner low end tone.

I was thinking maby I have pushed the speaker too far, I've had it all apart in search of any loose items but there were none and I've cleaned the dust out of it (but not used contact cleaner on the pots) 

If I have broken the speaker can I replace it with any bass speaker of choice? Or will I need to replace it with the same one which could be hard as it's about 35 years old.

Cheers everyone hope your slapping and twanging well.

So for anybody interested, I took the back off (the heavy, very heavily magnetised part)the speaker itself and found several little black bits of somthing not really sure what they were sitting on the very central aluminium part of the speaker (along with other dried black crap) so I scraped it all off carefully (along with a few small hole repairs) and it works like new.

I opened it up fully and could see through the back of the speaker that there was some black gunk on the very back of the central aluminum cone so I cleaned it off and it solved the problem! Also got in contact with Peavy regarding it and they said that the foam dust catcher falls apart over time and was probably what the gunk was, hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

• 2 months later...