Why become a member? ×

Amp or Cabs - Good but could it be better when REALLY LOUD!and! .....

Pirellithecat

1 hour ago, MrDaveTheBass said:

I swear by these - I always use them when I'm rehearsing or gigging, or even in the crowd at a gig. They're comfy to wear, and actually make it easier to hear everybody, at a safer volume:

https://www.alpinehearingprotection.co.uk/earplugs/musicsafe-classic/

Yes. I have those. They're very very good.

Stupidly I did about 3 months without them. Ended up with damage. They're now my number one thing to remember.

Well, one rehearsal done with ear defenders, room set-up improved with speakers off the ground and level with the drummer, less bass boom from bass drum, and a "team talk" re. volume.

And also a different bass Amplifier.

Much better.

However, the ear defenders do tend to get in the way of hearing the music in so far as keeping "in the pocket" with the drums, but that might be a question of getting used to them.   However, even without the defenders, the different amp improves things very noticeable.  I don't have to turn up  to be able to hear the bass part.  So, better amp allows quieter playing as the sound is clearer.

Still need to keep working on the guitarist though - he's just too loud/bright/brittle/painful - actually it's probably a tone thing rather than absolute volume but it is painful!    

Might try a different cab next and still need to work on the monitor/PA side of things.

On 30/07/2019 at 18:36, Pirellithecat said:

However, the ear defenders do tend to get in the way of hearing the music

What ear defenders are you using? Standard foam plugs can really affect what you hear. If you get yourself a "musician's" set you should find that you should still be able to hear everyone, but at a lower volume. With the Alpine plugs, I find that I can actually hear everything better, as my ears aren't distorting with the volume. It did take a couple of rehearsals to get used to them, but now I won't play without them.  

• Like 1

Ha Ha!

Yes they are "musician" type ear defenders.  And I will have to try harder to use them more often.  I guess the beauty of not using them would be that it might make me pack it all in, more quickly, which would save many more ears - indeed it would be an altruistic act.  I guess ear defenders are therefore rather a selfish act.

The only answer for all concerned would be to play more quietly and sort out a PA!

Ooh it's all getting a little philosophical.

On 17/07/2019 at 14:28, Pirellithecat said:

Thanks Everyone,

Some very sane and re-assuring comments here which I will "share" with my fellow (rowdy) musicians!

Fingers crossed once again, and it is absolutely the case that I need to find a band who are interested in delivering the songs well, rather than the songs just being a reason to demonstrate what fantastic guitarists/vocalists/drummers/ or dare I say it, bass players they (we) are.   Except we're not!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts

Cheers!

Unfortunately, from what you say it sounds like you're fighting a fight that cannot be won. I've quit bands for various reasons, including volume. Bandmates that do not seem concerned with making the *band* sound good together are not really bandmates.

Use earplugs. Now! Don't delay. Once the hearing is damaged it won't come back, and all for what? It does take some adjusting, but you're at the mercy of others with little consideration for the effects on their sound on you, so you never know when it'll be critical.

I hope you manage to get some sense in the band and fix it. I am not optimistic, but I can be wrong and I hope I am. It may be easier to find a new one. Sometimes people are ignorant but they're open minded and they react when they realise they're doing something wrong. Then, you may find guitarists with speakers pointing at their ankles whose idea of a solution for their perceived lack of volume is to turn up... or those who point their speakers at another bandmate and proceed to blast them out... You can't fix those, in my experience. If they get butthurt and/or laugh about your concerns... you won't get anywhere. Too many wannabe rockstars and not enough musicians.

On 01/08/2019 at 13:47, Pirellithecat said:

Ha Ha!

Yes they are "musician" type ear defenders.  And I will have to try harder to use them more often.  I guess the beauty of not using them would be that it might make me pack it all in, more quickly, which would save many more ears - indeed it would be an altruistic act.  I guess ear defenders are therefore rather a selfish act.

The only answer for all concerned would be to play more quietly and sort out a PA!

Ooh it's all getting a little philosophical.

You could start wearing them before you start playing. Get used to how things sound with them, and then when it's time to plug in they feel more natural.

I didn't like them at first. Now I won't play without them, in fact I take them with me to bars and gigs. I love music, the ability of hearing things well give me a lot of pleasure. I'm not sacrificing that.

Yep, put them in before soundcheck, then keep them in. You soon adjust within 10 minutes and forget you've got them in. Then everything sounds normal when you're playing. It's only when you take them out mid gig you realise just how deafening it can be.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2019 at 14:03, mcnach said:

Indeed, and then it seems crazy how loud things are.

I had some interference issues in my in ear monitors last night and had to take one out mid song until I had a chance to switch channel at the end of that song. We don't have any backline at all so only drums making noise on stage. It was absolutely astonishing how loud it was. I can't even imagine playing with full backline and no hearing protection these days.