Why become a member? ×

Boss SY-1

Woodinblack

On 06/05/2020 at 14:39, Rollin Thunder said:

Bit the bullet, mine should arrive tomorrow, unsure whether to get this or the future shock, but this seems a better unit and easier for just using on the fly. The future shock has some very good presets but reckon only about 12-20 would ever rally get used. Plus its like £100 more. 

Do you mean the Future Impact? If so, all the sounds are fully replaceable so you can fill it with only the sounds you'll use. Also, you can also use it to replace a bunch of single-box effects.

@Quatschmacher is quite right. When I got my FI I realised it could easily replace multiple effects.

I really wanted to learn to programme and share my own sounds with it, but a cognitive defect associated with an illness, has made learning just too difficult. 

So I 'swapped' it and now have a C4 and an SY-1. The C4 needless to say I can't do much with beyond tweaking other people's patches. The SY-1 on the other hand is straight onto the board and being used. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

So I 'swapped' it and now have a C4 and an SY-1. The C4 needless to say I can't do much with beyond tweaking other people's patches. The SY-1 on the other hand is straight onto the board and being used.

I think that is the main difference, the C4 and FI are for people who know what they want and are prepared to make it work. The SY-1 is a bunch of effects that you can use - there are a lot of them but basically that is it, turn the knobs until you find a pleasing sound

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

...turn the knobs until you find a pleasing sound

and then make sure to make a note of your settings when you do find one! Unlike FI or C4, there is no ability to store "filter tweaks" on the SY-1 over and above the factory provided 10 x 11 = 121 basic presets. 

Whilst that is a lot of basic presets, there are then several twin filter settings you can have for each of these basic 121 presets, so that's a vast number of options! 

Edited by Al Krow

OK SY-1 Lovers

I've had my SY-1 pedal a week now, and a few evenings of knob tweaking and fiddling.  There's a ton of sounds in that sparkly blue box but I'm struggling to settle on any that are really doing it for me. 

For anyone regularly using this pedal would you mind sharing some of your presets and what you're using them for to help spark my creativity - particularly any lead 'synth tones' or moogish synth bass settings.

I'd love to help you but I'm too new too!

I have only done one rehearsal with it and found an awesome organ sound to run underneath the bass when a solo is happening - it's astonishingly good and I wish I knew how I got it.

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I'd love to help you but I'm too new too!

I have only done one rehearsal with it and found an awesome organ sound to run underneath the bass when a solo is happening - it's astonishingly good and I wish I knew how I got it.

Did you have the organ sound blended with the Bass and playing in unison, or were you holding the FS to have the organ sound sustained whilst you played bass over it (I think that's a feature)

12 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

OK SY-1 Lovers

I've had my SY-1 pedal a week now, and a few evenings of knob tweaking and fiddling.  There's a ton of sounds in that sparkly blue box but I'm struggling to settle on any that are really doing it for me. 

For anyone regularly using this pedal would you mind sharing some of your presets and what you're using them for to help spark my creativity - particularly any lead 'synth tones' or moogish synth bass settings.

Here you go...

On 04/10/2020 at 18:28, Al Krow said:

....a few settings I'm finding decently usable:

Boss SY-1 settings (20-10).jpg

Edited by Al Krow

19 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

Did you have the organ sound blended with the Bass and playing in unison, or were you holding the FS to have the organ sound sustained whilst you played bass over it (I think that's a feature)

I didn't realise that was a thing! Brilliant! 

I was having a good play with the SY-1 last night and I ended up with an accidental creation that @Al Krow suggested I posted here.

All the sound scaping and FX in the audio clip were generated with the bass into the SY-1, the bass riff that comes in uses an OC-2 octave.

Edited by PatrickJ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PatrickJ said:

Yes, I really should have made a note of them shouldn't I :facepalm:

I intend to visit my SY-1 later (depending upon how deeply my current collapsed state evolves) and get that organ infill. 

Once I do I'll share it. 

I find the Hold function on this pedal is underrated. I'm using it live to hold an underlying organ sound whilst I play over the top,  releasing and re-holding at every chord change. I don't have recordings but I'm using it for the intro to Python Lee Jackson's In A Broken Dream...works well.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for the collective knowledge for SY-1 users - would I be able to replicate the hammond type sound going on on the Wolfmother Joker & the Thief track with my bass and this pedal? Thanks in advance.

On 17/06/2021 at 08:16, Muppet said:

I find the Hold function on this pedal is underrated. I'm using it live to hold an underlying organ sound whilst I play over the top,  releasing and re-holding at every chord change. I don't have recordings but I'm using it for the intro to Python Lee Jackson's In A Broken Dream...works well.

Just added a dual expression pedal (Boss EV-30) to my set-up for use with a couple of my synth pedals. Works a treat with the SY-1 - in addition to the really useful hold and release on the pedal itself, you have the ability to control the arpeggiator speed without needing to tweak by hand.

• Like 1