Why become a member? ×

Boss SY-1

Woodinblack

Oh my a programmable SY-1, with a superb feature set!!

And from the reviews I've seen, this is very much aimed at both guitar and bass markets.

@Woodinblack - you are costing me an absolute fortune this year! On the plus side you've just sorted my Xmas pressie out! (And my third attempt at Panda FI ownership may well now be short lived...) 

Edit: I may have spoken too soon, apparently you need special connectivity to get the most of this, rather than normal pickups, and a budget of more than £800 for one of these. Looks like my FI is going to survive to another day! 

Edited by Al Krow
The truth dawns... 😄

57 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oh my a programmable SY-1, with a superb feature set!!

And from the reviews I've seen, this is very much aimed at both guitar and bass markets.

Well, it had to be coming, after the SY-1 made the more expensive things look bad value, and with the GR-55 being pretty old now, there had to be something for the GK13 people. And this looks like both a SY/GR combined, which is the obvious next choice.

And yes, the promo video shows that it is very much designed for both markets (which they overlooked with the GR-10).

57 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Woodinblack - you are costing me an absolute fortune this year! On the plus side you've just sorted my Xmas pressie out! (And my third attempt at Panda FI ownership may well now be short lived...) 

Well, as you know, my lifes goal is to cost you money :D

It is very tempting, but at the moment I am at the limits of my spending unless I sell some things!

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Andertons now showing the SY-1 not arriving before Xmas.

Have you checked using someone elses browser that this isn't just actually directed at you personally?

<checks> hmm.. 10 in stock unless you know fretmeister.

how strange? :D

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'm cancelling the order.

Might get the C4 instead.

Completely understandable! 

And hopefully Andertons will finally be stocking the SY-1s when you're done being a computer programmer and ready to sell your C4 (ask Kev...), although you never know, it might just be the explosive pedal you've always been after! 💣 

• 1 month later...
On 30/01/2020 at 22:43, owen said:

Curiosity has got the better of me. I am going in.

I’m still feeling pretty immune to this one after the demos I’ve heard. Also, I’ve taken the plunge on a MIDIBass (if my deposit ever flipping clears) so I’ll be able to use any synth I like on bass!

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’m still feeling pretty immune to this one after the demos I’ve heard. Also, I’ve taken the plunge on a MIDIBass (if my deposit ever flipping clears) so I’ll be able to use any synth I like on bass!

Be interested to hear how it works in action. I must admit the SY1 cures my need for synth backup when playing, but I am no longer chasing the actual synth driver as I have figured the bass is just not a good instrument for it, and I now have a linnstrument which gives a lot more for the same string layout, if you see what I mean

11 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yeah agree - some pedals just don't grab our imaginations, for sure.

Obviously differs with each of us as to precisely which pedal, but I can certainly relate to one of our fellow synth pedal lovers admitting he's not found the inclination to touch his C4 since getting it several months ago, whilst loving his new fretless bass.

I've had a similar experience with my FI's since getting my first one 18 months ago. Not really touched them - but have loved the new basses I've been fortunate to get my hands on. Maybe it's time to face the reality of my lack of enthusiasm and get my most recent Panda FI replacement moved on.

I guess it reminds me that we're first and foremost bass players and then somewhere down the list, computer editing boffins!