Why become a member? ×

Boss SY-1

Woodinblack

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Had young master @dave_bass5 round this afternoon collecting gear and fixing Stomps with great aplomb! He had to put up with me eulogising about the SY-1 to him and making him listen to 5 different sounds on just one of the 121 settings as I tweaked the two filters, and also hearing it track down to a low B without glitching.

But he took it in his stride and to quote the dear chap... 

He even said that it sounded like you'd expect a synth to.

Nuff said @krispn ?! Just go get one. If you don't like it you won't have any difficulty whatsoever shifting it - damn, having seen @GisserD with two Mastotrons on his boards, I'm even thinking about getting a second one of these 'little Boss synth pedals' 😁

So you like it then? The SY1? I wish you would just clearly state one way or the other!!

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Great - that gives me a bit of focus. Won't have time this week, but will try to get around to it the following week. @Quatschmacher could maybe be persuaded to provide some C4 samples in similar fashion. 

Not likely at the moment, I’m pulled out with FI stuff which is taking up all my spare time. 

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Not likely at the moment, I’m pulled out with FI stuff which is taking up all my spare time. 

Fair - you've got plenty on with v3.0!

Maybe @GisserD can step into the breach with some C4 samples for krispn as I know he's already up to speed and quite a dab hand at Ableton (unlike me who will be using it for the first time week after next!)?

On 30/09/2019 at 00:46, krispn said:

Well I can imagine the bass settings would be more useful than say 11 bell variations for a Bruno Mars track  😀

I listed some artists a few posts back but approximations of songs you’re playing just now and how it might work would be handy. The to do list for me includes Killers - Human or some other track which he’s still not sure of yet, Depeche Mode - Just Can’t Get Enough, Human League - Don’t You Want Me, Old Town Road and we do versions of Wake Me Up and Umbrella already. 

You get the idea plus you’ll have an idea of what you think would work in your band that likely wouldn’t be a million miles off what we do.

If we’re doing four or five songs where it might enhance the bass part I’d be up for trying one or the C4. 

Would you be better off with a 12 Step?
It sounds like you're in a similar postion to me, I need something to 'fill' in the sound for a 4 piece indie/pop band - and just looking to funding a 12 Step.
So on things like  Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me, Kim Wilde - Kids In America, Erasure - Respect, I'm thinking a 12 Step would be ideal just to add synth chords underneath guitar, bass and vocals.
Or is this somewhat of a tangent?

Would a 12 step involve tap dancing? :)

I'm in a position where my band might benefit from a little more oomph on certain tracks but it's not essential. To be able to add a pad or something a bit more atmospheric on some intro parts but also have a bit more going on as in a synthy sort of sound could work but I've kinda adopted the bass to play parts which work for our set up.

I'm just interested to learn how folks would use this pedal in a similar set up to mine not create soundscapes and textures like so many examples I've heard of bass synth stuff. @Al Krow has linked footage to his band and I'm confident that there are enough similarities to the type of songs/audiences we play to. Asking him for examples was to see how he might integrate the pedal as I'm aware he's doesn't normally use any effects in his live bands. I'm just using some comp and drive in mine.

Edited by krispn
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, krispn said:

Would a 12 step involve tap dancing? :)

I'm in a position where my band might benefit from a little more oomph on certain tracks but it's not essential. To be able to add a pad or something a bit more atmospheric on some intro parts but also have a bit more going on as in a synthy sort of sound could work but I've kinda adopted the bass to play parts which work for our set up.

I'm just interested to learn how folks would use this pedal in a similar set up to mine not create soundscapes and textures like so many examples I've heard of bass synth stuff. @Al Krow has linked footage to his band and I'm confident that there are enough similarities to the type of songs/audiences we play to. Asking him for examples was to see how he might integrate the pedal as I'm aware he's doesn't normally use any effects in his live bands. I'm just using some comp and drive in mine.

haaa - yes, I'm saying all that, 'just' get one of these having never actually tried one.
How hard can it be........???
Billy can do it...

:D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fastra said:

Would you be better off with a 12 Step?

I have a 12 step as well and use it at every gig, but it isn't the same at all.

3 hours ago, Fastra said:

So on things like  Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

Funny I do that song and don't use the 12 step on it. Probably a bit too much dancing.

On 04/10/2019 at 15:48, Woodinblack said:

I have a 12 step as well and use it at every gig, but it isn't the same at all.

Funny I do that song and don't use the 12 step on it. Probably a bit too much dancing.

Thats interesting, I was thinking that would be one of the easier, more effective ones to use it with E, D, A....
Sort of 0:37 on this...

I'd be interested to hear/see anything you have using the 12 step though, if possible.

• Like 1

I have to do more videos, currently I am using it as backing on a few and notably for fills in Brick in the wall. Obviously with guitar and bass, it thins out on a long solo (and the guitarist is not one for filling back in), so the keys add quite a bit too it.

True, those chords would work, its a question of switching sounds and presets to put it back in. I need to get more keys in but sometimes it proves trickier than you think. I did the keys in p!nk, who knew, it added a lot but I almost fell over twice! - not joking on that, the risk of falling over when standing on one leg, playing the bass and pressing keys really is an issue

• Like 1

Small point of note which will probably be obvious to others - but wasn't to me before messing about earlier!:

Anything in the SY-1 loop steps into the shoes of the clean blend.

When the SY-1 is bypassed the SY-1 clean blend vol control has no impact on the loop volume, but when it's engaged you can vary the total loop volume on the SY-1 as you would the clean blend, so that gives you an additional level of control which is a nice to have.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, owen said:

Any vids of the sustain aspect of these out there?

I haven't seen one (although since I have had one I haven't looked), although in a way a video of the sustain would be unexciting, because it literally does what you would expect. You press the button and whatever is playing when you press it carries on playing until you let go of the button.

I find it rather handy for songs that hold a back chord, something like 20th Century boy, where there is a held chord but the bass can carry on playing.

• 2 weeks later...

For about a day the Andertons site said 20-something of November. Now it's back to Unknown date again.

Dawsons are showing 9th December 2019.

I wonder what is going on? Has demand been so high even the mighty Boss can't cope? Or have they let the YTS kid have a go at making them and they've had to bin a batch?

That's mega frustrating! I got myself an used Boss SYB-5 recently as I was curious how the tech had developed over the decade since the launch of this predecessor pedal. 

It's surprisingly not too shabby at all. And layout / controls share a lot in common with the SY-1.