Why become a member? ×

Boss SY-1

Woodinblack

1 hour ago, HazBeen said:

@Al Krow tracking not being flawless is not any issue.

Soz Harry, on this one I have to disagree with you. Glitchy pedals don't have 'character', in my books they're simply annoying. So the less glitches the better! How often do you hear glitches with quality keyboard synths, which is what bass synth pedals are aiming for, or any recorded synth music? Pretty close to never, right? 

Let's face it: if glitchy / poor tracking was just fine and musicians and audiences didn't care, FI wouldn't have bothered improving the tracking via their recent software updates would they?

If tracking can be made flawless that's a good thing in my books. I'll take flawless tracking over glitches every day of the week and on this the SY-1 has set the bar. 

I am sure the SY-1 is a really great pedal for some, but not for everyone.

^^ this absolutely

Edited by Al Krow

@Al Krow tracking not being flawless is not any issue. It never was an issue on my OC2, the FI nor is it an issue on the C4. It gives the pedals character and you very quickly are able to work with not against their quirks.

Interesting point of view, but one I don't share. Tracking being flawless is what I want in a pedal. If I want character I want it to be because I have added it, not that it is just not working properly.

Very 80s/DX-7-ish and whilst it did track better than any of the above it just didn’t inspire me at all.

I know you are talking about the SY300 which I haven't used, but the SY1 is very 80s yes in that it is JUNO, Prophet, Analogue type, (so I guess more late 70s), but it is not even slightly DX7. 

I am sure the SY-1 is a really great pedal for some, but not for everyone.

Obviously not, I assumed that goes without saying.

i am sure those other pedals are great for some, I am different from al in that for me the polyphonic element is the bit that sells it (as well as the tracking)

True confession... reading this thread has made me turn off Planmet Rock and put on Tainted Love instead.

(Back in the 80s it was the only disco song all us rock types would dance to! Oh who remembers the Aberystwyth Pier Disco circa 1982)

<edit> Found the proper one - I'd love to get some of these 'dark' sounds from my bass:

Edited by Stub Mandrel

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

True confession... reading this thread has made me turn off Planmet Rock and put on Tainted Love instead.

(Back in the 80s it was the only disco song all us rock types would dance to! Oh who remembers the Aberystwyth Pier Disco circa 1982)

You're not the only one! I've just enjoyed watching this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n93c4/synth-britannia

• Thanks 1

Hearing Alison Moyet / Yazoo's 'Only You' on 'Synth Brittania' brought back a few memories! 

My favourite cover used to always be the Flying Pickets acapella version.

Selena Gomez slowed it right down in 2017, not sure that did anything for me.

Kinda thinking speeding it up might be the better way to go with this particular iconic track...give me 45 mins 😉

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

How does it do on a 4 string down to the open E and played at speed - any glitching at all?

I'm guessing by definition it won't be flawless, otherwise @HazBeen wouldn't be able to say that the C4 tracks marginally better! 😉

I suspect the polyphonic capability of the SY-1, which is not shared by either the C4 or FI,  will give it an edge on tracking. For live band use IMO tight tracking is as important, if not more so, than wider sonic variety. It's a real plus for the SY-1.

I think we need you, as our BC synth guru, to get hold of an SY-1 and put it through its paces for yourself and see if you would change any of the A/B points list in my earlier post.

Why would polyphonic necessarily give better tracking? If anything i would think it would take more processing time to decipher multiple pitches.

I would like to try the SY-1 if I can find one anywhere. 

50 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Interesting point of view, but one I don't share. Tracking being flawless is what I want in a pedal. If I want character I want it to be because I have added it, not that it is just not working properly.

I know you are talking about the SY300 which I haven't used, but the SY1 is very 80s yes in that it is JUNO, Prophet, Analogue type, (so I guess more late 70s), but it is not even slightly DX7. 

Obviously not, I assumed that goes without saying.

i am sure those other pedals are great for some, I am different from al in that for me the polyphonic element is the bit that sells it (as well as the tracking)

Well yes actually a Juno is actually more correct. But we agree on it being 80’s oriented. And that is precisely not what floats my boat, whilst it inspires others.

Let me make one thing clear, the tracking on both the FI or C4 is very good, certainly not far off the SY300 I had, the better your technique the better the tracking btw so results may vary. For my ears they also sound a bit warmer probable due to them being monophonic.

But the great thing is: we have choices! Hurrah to bass.

10 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Maybe @Al Krow can loan you his for a few days? 

I am indeed fine with making pedals available to fellow BC'ers, whom I've got to know, as Q will be able to vouch :)  

But there are a couple of pedals that are in regular use / exploration on my board and this one is one of them! Had to wait patiently for the best part of six weeks from first getting excited about this pedal, waiting for non existent bass reviews to materialise, taking the plunge and it finally arriving. So this one ain't going anywhere fast! 😋

Put your orders in with PMT and get in line, gents. You won't be disappointed. Well most of you anyway - as H has rightly pointed out, this pedal ain't for everyone 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

You're not the only one! I've just enjoyed watching this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n93c4/synth-britannia

OMG! I remember watching that demonstration of a sampler with dog barks on Tomorrows World! Must have been pre 1980.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

46 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

OMG! I remember watching that demonstration of a sampler with dog barks on Tomorrows World! Must have been pre 1980.

Well here's my promised uptempo version of the Yazoo classic. Completely ruined? 😎

Not a glitch in sight, eh H? 😁

Yahoo - Only You (Uptempo & lower).mp3

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Cripes that's not bad for a couple of hours, what did you use?

1 hour ago, krispn said:

Are you using the SYB-1 to overdub some sounds or is this just a speeded up version?

Cheers SM! Was using a little program called Song Surgeon, which I bought a few years back on line to help me with key changes for when the band were doing covers in non original keys. It also let's you change the tempo whilst keeping the original key (or even changing both tempo and key if that takes your fancy!) but which I've not really made use of until now :)

No SY-1 stuff on there krispn, just speeded up. But 80s synth is very much where this pedal is at methinks. 

Edited by Al Krow

3 minutes ago, krispn said:

Aww I was hoping you'd be coping some tones and showing what the pedal could do in the 80's synth vein!

Check out fretmeister's YT link above, if you haven't done already. It's actually a pretty good intro to what this pedal can do on bass. But there are easily north of 500+ distinct synth tones this thing can put out, pretty much all with flawless tracking. Gonna keep me out of mischief for a while! 

53 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Wouldn't the ideal be a pedal that uses the SY-1's polyphonic engine to output general MIDI through a USB lead, then you could hook up to a laptop and play sound you wanted.

(I've been playing with a cheap as chips mini keyboard and ignite today).

It's been around since 2015 :)

It isn't however cheap as chips!

image.jpeg.c763eaac9d8cc2982cb4ade2e953568a.jpeg