Why become a member? ×

Boss SY-1

Woodinblack

I watched the video with the 2 guys who thought they were funny and swore a lot. I watched bits of a couple of other videos, all of which did have some cool sounds.

It looks very good indeed - like you say though there is a tricky gap between not wanting the hassle of midi and deep editing but needing to recall decent sounds without too much hassle - to get it all in the right sized box.

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I thought about pre-ordering mine. I figured Andersons had it at £175+£5 postage, Dawsons had it at £175 with free postage, or I could probably get a pre-owned Know one for about £150.. Tricky choice.. :D

So you're in the Know are you now Woody? 😁

The Source Audio C4 is $239 in the US but a slightly eye watering £249 over here.

The SY-1 $200 in the US so I'd kinda expected it to be £200+ over here (following the same logic as the C4), but for some reason they've kept it down to a more affordable it's £175 (and you can get for that price with free delivery from G4M)

I guess the advantage to pre-ordering is that it protects against a collapse in the £:$ over the coming 3 months and locks in that £175 price.

Edited by Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I guess the advantage to pre-ordering is that it protects against a collapse in the £:$ over the coming 3 months and locks in that £175 price.

Dawsons say they expect it on 12/08/2019

So less than a month. But yes, currency might be plunging soon.

41 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I suspect if the £ does collapse over that time, they might decide to not honour the price.

I suppose ordering it from Thoman or something might work for that. Or maybe just pay in yen up front :D

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

@Savethedaves saw you were selling your OC3 to fund your SY-1 (GLWTS btw) - I've done the same with my Q\Strip for exactly the same reason (and also to provide some space on my board!) :) 

Have you already pre-ordered your SY-1?

Cheers! Not yet, but I probably will be! The Pedals and Effects guys Juan and Nick gave it enough of a go to really peak my interest. I just can't bring myself to sell any of my Earthquaker pedals so I've got to start trimming the fat somewhere!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've bitten the bullet and pre-ordered the SY-1 from PMT.

Normally we get hit in the UK with $1 = £1 on US manufactured goods and it's currently even worse with the Source Audio C4 $239 in the US but £249 in the UK. 

I kinda wanted to get my payment in before Boss spot that they are not selling at $ parity ($199 in the US); the SY-1 is on at a relatively 'reasonable' £175 over here at the moment, but if the £ continues to slide that may not last!

Taking a bit of a chance given that I've not heard any decent bass reviews of this yet, but PMT have a 14 day return for online purchases, in case it does turn out to be a dud on bass which I'm really hoping / expecting it not to be!

(Sorry Woody - you're unlikely to buying this one off me used :))

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Taking a bit of chance given that I've not heard any decent bass reviews of this yet, but PMT have a 14 day return for online purchases, in case it does turn out to be a dud on bass which I'm really hoping / expecting it not to be!

(Sorry Woody - you're unlikely to buying this one off me used :))

I think you are probably right, this is the one I have to order myself!

And yes, the way the pound is going at the moment, probably makes sense to order it now.

Finally(!) some bass samples being uploaded. Tracking seems fine from this clip although it will be good to see it played with faster riffs. Nice demonstration of polyphonic capability.

Looking forward even more to mine arriving in due course now! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

But at least you can be unimpressed for half the price!

And FOUR times the ease of use of its current leading competitors.

I'd rather have something that is allegedly only half as good as e.g. the C4 or FI but that I actually end up using as it doesn't require a PhD in PC editing / oscillator theory to make sense of!

Does depend on your key priorities e.g. ease of workflow vs sonic perfection. The former will appeal to many gigging bassists who only need to find a couple of usable synth sounds for live use but who absolutely require great tracking; the latter likely to be more a priority for recording (but then you're in competition with much better quality keyboard synths). Horses for courses.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am not sure I would use a bass synth pedal for recording, it is always going to be worse than an actual synth that are cheap and plentiful.

Agreed.

Ok in which case, the more expensive and potentially more capable C4 and FI win out for home noodling then 😉

41 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am not sure I would use a bass synth pedal for recording, it is always going to be worse than an actual synth that are cheap and plentiful.

In the case of the FI, it IS a synth - plug into a controller keyboard and it can be played in exactly the same way as any other dedicated keyboard synth.

Edited by Quatschmacher

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And FOUR times the ease of use of its current leading competitors.

I'd rather have something that is allegedly only half as good as e.g. the C4 or FI but that I actually end up using as it doesn't require a PhD in PC editing / oscillator theory to make sense of!

Does depend on your key priorities e.g. ease of workflow vs sonic perfection. The former will appeal to many gigging bassists who only need to find a couple of usable synth sounds for live use but who absolutely require great tracking; the latter likely to be more a priority for recording (but then you're in competition with much better quality keyboard synths). Horses for courses.

At the risk of repeating myself as nauseum, one doesn’t need any synth knowledge to use the C4, there are some pretty tasty user presets in the cloud now and it’s a simple case of one click to audition one, three clicks to burn to a location. Within each preset there are (at present) two user-defined parameters that can be tweaked from the pedal. The bonus being that these tweaks can be saved on the fly if one desires. 

I think this pedal satisfies all your desires and requirements, Bas, and perhaps that’s the problem - the journey might be over. (I’m prone to this myself.)😁

• Like 1

Well let me start by actually using a synth pedal live (which I'm much more likely to do with the SY-1) and I can always 'graduate' to the C4 when these start coming up in the FS in six months time, if the consensus by then is that it really is that much better. I've decided to nail my colours to the SY-1 mast and I'm sticking with that for a while :)

And although you say there is no 'hurdle' to using the C4, there's a reason why @GisserD hasn't given it a spin despite having had it for a few weeks; it's not that he's not tech savvy, he is (and a lot more than me)!  Bet you if he'd got the the SY-1 it would be out and being used from day 1. Mine certainly will be.

Edited by Al Krow

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well let me start by actually using a synth pedal live (which I'm much more likely to do with the SY-1) and I can always 'graduate' to the C4 when these start coming up in the FS in six months time, if the consensus by then is that it really is that much better. I've decided to nail my colours to the SY-1 mast and I'm sticking with that for a while :)

And although you say there is no 'hurdle' to using the C4, there's a reason why @GisserD hasn't given it a spin despite having had it for a few weeks; it's not that he's not tech savvy, he is (and a lot more than me)!  Bet you if he'd got the the SY-1 it would be out and being used from day 1. Mine certainly will be.

NOPE. 

I havent even picked up a bass since then. too busy!

Edited by GisserD