Why become a member? ×

Mixing Humbucker With Single Coil?

spongebob

I've got a Bartolini humbucker neck and bridge pair on my 4003S. Love them. 

However, to add a bit of bright, I've been advised to add a Duncan 1/4 pounder jazz neck pup in there. It's got a place to go, so that's not an issue. 

It's been suggested to simply wire in parallel with the neck humbucker. 

Just before I dive in, can anyone foresee any issues with the single coil/humbucker mix? Can't seem to find much bass-related stuff on the web. 

Not sure.....i know the Bart make/made their own '3rd' pup for the same position....obviously geared up for the job. 

The jazz pup mod has been used as an alternative (cheaper by a mile). However, that was with two single coils. Modder suggested with 2 humbuckers it would be OK, but I'm not sure...... 

A neck single coil might be fine. The levels can be easily adjusted with pickup height. Some hum may be in order but I have not seen that as a big issue. Any basic jazz has the same problem, so...

By the way, have those pickups 4 wire outputs? If so, you may install a pot or two with a DPDT switch and have a series/parallel option. This is probably the simplest way to new sound options.

If a lo-Z possibility is in order, Noll has a Mixpot. It includes level adjustments for both "channels". In short Mixpot is a tiny pickup mixer, or rather an active blend. Requires a bit of tinkering and a 9 V battery.

Edited by itu

Thanks guys. 

Only started looking at alternatives, as the Bart pup (third in the set) is quite pricey.....hence other forums offering alternatives. 

Going the stick to the extra Bart....much more of straightforward procedure - hopefully!

Edited by spongebob