Why become a member? ×

Ex Welsh Guards Army tuba player with newish IB SR655

Chrisbassboy5

20190710_212416.thumb.jpg.ee76682b72b3bea5065b50edc734aac9.jpg20190710_212416.thumb.jpg.ee76682b72b3bea5065b50edc734aac9.jpgHi Folks, am a professional tuba player and string bass but now out 10years from the Army and 50th birthday in Sept just treated to an 8mth old IBANEZ SR655. in immaculate find with Ddario' flats for £440. Live it and off we go learning and enjoying 'woody. 

See you around folks..  Chris

20190710_212321.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome Chris,  

I came at it from a different direction so play bass guitar and sometimes upright bass (plucked only - mainly for the look and sound) with a concert band alongside tuba players.   I have never managed to get my paws around bowing and recently found out I am allergic to rosin!  I'm sure if you've played in the Welsh Guards you're at much more disciplined and competent level than me!

As a former trombone player I have been tempted to look into a sousaphone or tuba but I know the band would want me to stay on that if I picked it up enough! 

5 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

Welcome Chris,  

I came at it from a different direction so play bass guitar and sometimes upright bass (plucked only - mainly for the look and sound) with a concert band alongside tuba players.   I have never managed to get my paws around bowing and recently found out I am allergic to rosin!  I'm sure if you've played in the Welsh Guards you're at much more disciplined and competent level than me!

As a former trombone player I have been tempted to look into a sousaphone or tuba but I know the band would want me to stay on that if I picked it up enough! 

Think the bass guitar is a great instrument to compliment a wind band etc. Great to hear from you m8. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome Chris.

I have the 605.  It has two humbuckers as opposed to a J and a P pickup.  It's got a great neck so I am confident that you will be comfortable with yours.

Yep, tried last night and really feel at home with the Abby neck. God, what a nice instrument and thought it very powerful until I put the 9V in, with my Peavey TKO115. Wow. Power!

Cheers Guys.