Why become a member? ×

Which Amp to keep?!? Trickfish Vs Hellborg

attackbass

Anyone ever had a similar problem?!

After unsuccessfully trying to sell my Trickfish rig I decided to plug in yesterday and remembered how great it sounded. Very warm, deep and tight and worked really well with the darkglass vintage ultra.

This was followed by plugging in my Hellborg rig, switching between Hellborg and Trickfish cabs and i eventually came to the conclusion I love both. I love the warmth and punch of the Trickfish but love the clarity and slight compression of the Hellborg. I love the differences between the 2x10 Trickfish and 1x15 Hellborg CC and LC cabs.  

They both equally look cool. I think what I really love about the Hellborg is the Poweramp and the cabs, the preamp is very nice but maybe too clear and precise for comfort. Which makes me think maybe sell the Hellborg pre and a cab and keep the power amp and one cab for a cool practice rig and keep the trickfish for lugging about rehearsals and gigs.

I would say usually this a nice problem to have but the space it's all taking up in my room is insane and the daily anxiety of selling one of them and then later regretting it, especially in the case of the Hellborg as it's no longer in production. 

I miss the days where I had an ampeg and that was fine. Haha.

You don’t need to delve into personal finances here, but do you actually need to sell either?

Unless you are backed into a corner, don’t do it, who cares if one only gets played once a year for example, your kit, use it how you want.

On a practical level - the TF may be easier to shift, although someone may snap up the Hellborg.

Keep both - keep the smile on your face

Haha thanks!

Yeah I'm not desperate for the money and I'd prob be losing money if I did sell either now. Then again as a full time musician it's nice to have as much money in the bank as possible! Haha

I might gig the Trickfish for a bit and see how that goes and mix it up a bit and see what really works best! 

• Like 1

Thomann are selling Hellborg stuff real cheap recently, so I wouldn’t sell that, just because you’ll lose a fair amount. I’ve played the trickfish stuff and it is lovely but the Hellborg stuff will still work in 100 years, and can always be repaired.  The hellborg 500 stereo was the best amp I’ve ever owned/played through.  Lovely stuff.

Edited by Jazzjames

Yeah, I would definitely need to wait until that stock has been sold. I think the preamps are gone and maybe some of the poweramps, some seemingly have had dodgy ones that they returned.  I still see people trying to sell the stuff for £2000 upwards tho including GAK.

I could imagine UAD or Brainworks modelling the Hellborg pre/power amp at some point, I'm sure it'll be a modern classic!

• Like 1