Why become a member? ×

Xotic BB Bass preamp VS TCE Mojomojo

dave_bass5

As above.

Ive just started using my TCE Mojomo to supply my dirt tone. Not out and out OD, but dirty enough to sound noticeably dirty if that makes sense. Think songs like Should I stay, Shut up and dance (shoot the moon), and bit less for the 70’s rock covers etc. 

I’m happy with this pedal, but find it slightly dark sounding. I was just wondering if the Xotic would be a bit more open. As the price seems to have dropped a bit I’m tempted to give it a try. 

For reference ive had a VMT and didnt like the tone, too dark, i love my BDDI but trying to get away from the Sansamp effect (inc VTBass). I have a Pork Loin but never use it for some reason, but i want a smaller pedal anyway. 

I’m really only asking about these two, but if any other suggestions come to mind, it must run off battery. 

1 hour ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

Spark Booster sounds like what you're after. Less dark than the Mojo, less coloured and less gain. It's my always on pedal for edge of valve break up. 

Ah yes, I hadn’t thought about that. Cheers for that, ill look in to it tonight and will probably get one. I was offered one recently but thought it was just a booster, didn’t realise it could be used as a mild OD as well. 

52 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ah yes, I hadn’t thought about that. Cheers for that, ill look in to it tonight and will probably get one. I was offered one recently but thought it was just a booster, didn’t realise it could be used as a mild OD as well. 

Make sure you get the full size one, the mini one is a clean boost only! I just ordered one from Guitar Guitar too, since they're on sale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Make sure you get the full size one, the mini one is a clean boost only! I just ordered one from Guitar Guitar too, since they're on sale.

Cheers DB, yep, full sized one seems much more useful.

EDIT: Also thanks of the heads up about the price at GG, Just ordered one myself. 

Edited by dave_bass5

15 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

15 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cheers DB, yep, full sized one seems much more useful.

EDIT: Also thanks of the heads up about the price at GG, Just ordered one myself. 

You won't regret it! I prefer it to my old Xotic BB. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

You won't regret it! I prefer it to my old Xotic BB. :)

Well at this price if i dont like it my son can have it for his guitar.

Ironically i have a drawer full of OD's that ive brought over the past 2 years. Some of them very well respected, but i seem to always go back to using a BDDI (of which i have two). Now ive got a new bass that doesnt see to need that 'sansamp' tone, but i need some dirt still, and have also given up using main powered effects for now. I could get away with not using any, but with effects like these it seems once you start there is no way of getting away from them lol.

I have a COG Knightfall 66 which i love, but never use as I’m really trying to stay battery powered (other than the amp). I expect i will use it again, when i use my pedal board. What i love about the COG is its two channels, both sharing the EQ but with different gain and level control. Really, this is perfect for me other than the power supply. One reason i recently got a programable BDDI, as i can have a good tone, and then more of the good tone with drive, but found i prefer my BDDI V2 tone to the old style BDDI. 

The problem with me is i buy gear looking for a certain tone, but quickly decide i dont want that tone and really want something else. I have a few nice pedals that are more than up to the job, but none are battery powered. If i start using mains again ill end up using my pedal board, and i dont want that as i want things a lot more simple. 

4 minutes ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

I don't understand your hesitation in using the mains to power pedals?

Its probably just a phase I’m going through. Ive used a Line6 G30 for years, so have always had to plug that extra PSU in. Not a problem at all. Then I got a pedal board to put it on and all hell broke loose. I was buying pedals almost every week to put on there, then got a larger one within 4 months. 

I’m trying to  go pedal free, but do want to use  a filter (MXR) and one other dirt/OD box (not 7 pedals that are still on my board), although i don’t really need it as such.  I want everything to fit in the amp bag, as I normally get the train to and from rehearsals, so bass, and one bag is all i want to take. 

Get a Pedaltrain Volto, or a generic USB power bank with a 5-9V converter tip. I plan on building up a mini board with either of these options, sod using batteries (which means I have to disconnect the pedals when not in use and keep multiple batteries charged) or restricting myself to pedals with a battery compartment!

I have a very nice Cioks DC-5, and a One Spot (amongst others) so its not that i dont have the power already, i just don't want the extra to carry around. 

I agree, having to change batteries can be a pain, but im not gigging much anyway. If i start to gig more regularly then ill probably get the Pedaltrain back out. Fro now its more about rehearsals and travelling as light as possible.

Got my Spark today and so far I’m impressed. Only used it with headphones and my Spectradrive, but good call @Jazzmaster62 on getting this over the BB. If nothing else ive saved quite a bit. 

I compared it to the Mojomojo and it does seem more open. Dirt is more than enough, although I’ll know tomorrow night when i go to rehearsals. I’m not sure if this is THE ONE, but out of all the OD/drive pedals i have its the closest to what I’m looking for. 

• Like 2