Why become a member? ×

Possible JMB scam attempt

lozkerr

Morning folks,

Just had an out-of-the-blue message from this character on JMB. He either thinks I'm stupid or it's a scam - there is no way I'm giving my email address to some semi-literate stranger.

There's also someone called Ger sniffing round the Edinburgh musicians groups on Facebook. I'm not sure they're related, but that's the only connection I can think of.

Anyone else heard from this character? Here's his profile and the messages:

profile.jpg

message1.jpg

message2.jpg

message3.jpg

I wonder if they've targeted JMB to try harvest emails because its easier than other routes. I imagine its a bot, not an actual real person at the other end. I'm not on it, but is there a profile section etc? What kind of information is publically accessible to others, they might be able to piece together eg location, rough address, age, etc.

I wonder if they've targeted JMB to try harvest emails because its easier than other routes. I imagine its a bot, not an actual real person at the other end. I'm not on it, but is there a profile section etc? What kind of information is publically accessible to others, they might be able to piece together eg location, rough address, age, etc.

40 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

You might be right. Fortunately,  there isn't a lot in the profile section - you can choose to show your email address (which I've disabled) and your location. Nothing about age or gender and there's no option to upload a photo. The only thing that might alert a bot is that I had 'show online status' set on and I'm pretty much permanently logged in. The list of online users is shown below the main classified headings, so it would be trivial to write a script to contact them all.

UPDATE: I've just had another look at my inbox and the messages have disappeared along with the user name. Looks like JMB have been alerted. Stay safe, folks!

Edited by lozkerr

If it pleasing you, I have GENUIN 1934 fender prestigion bass guitar for export. But He is in Nairobi airpot waiting for custom payment and thensending to you directly to you place of abode in England, United Kingdoms Pleaseplease Sir send money order to $1000 by Phoneygram to PO Box 666, Lusaka. It is my humblest opineon that All will be blest with you Good Fortunes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

If it pleasing you, I have GENUIN 1934 fender prestigion bass guitar for export. But He is in Nairobi airpot waiting for custom payment and thensending to you directly to you place of abode in England, United Kingdoms Pleaseplease Sir send money order to $1000 by Phoneygram to PO Box 666, Lusaka. It is my humblest opineon that All will be blest with you Good Fortunes!

I'm interested. Would you accept $950? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2