Why become a member? ×

Converting to Lossless?? What??

dazza14

I need to convert our existing sound files to Lossless so I can upload the tracks onto Bandcamp...

How?

There are a bunch of software programmes on offer but does anyone have experience in doing this so I can save myself some time?

• 4 weeks later...

Good that you're sorted, but for future reference you should upload the original lossless master files (usually WAVs). Converting to lossless does not improve the quality - you can't put back what isn't there.

Also, if you convert a lossy file to a lossless format, you risk putting that file through another step of lossy conversion, as will probably happen when you upload to Bandcamp.

So, in essence - you have a lossless file (let's say a WAV) that's been converted to a lossy file (let's say MP3. Hopefully high-bitrate, but this could well be low quality). You then convert your MP3 back to WAV because Bandcamps asks for it. As I said, this does not improve quality. Its just a WAV version of your degraded MP3. This "new" WAV version gets uploaded, and then gets converted to an MP3 all over again, further degrading the quality.

I understand that sometimes its the only option if the original lossless files are simply not available, but it shoud be an absolute last resort.

Aled

• Like 1