Why become a member? ×

Jaco, this is why he's the uber-dude

steve-soar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='358377' date='Dec 18 2008, 10:29 PM']Well if I could get up off the floor when pissed (possibly tomorrow night) (stay away from the Corn Exchange... Liverpool) and sound that good, then I'll be happy.[/quote]
LOL!! Advice taken! :huh:
Trouble was, he probably was pissed... or stoned/whatever at that point in his life. I love the way he saunters off all cool like, then has to re-appear like a naughty schoolkid to switch off the loop!!
His death was a tragic waste. :)

What you have to understand is everyone has different tastes.
I've only been playing for 18 months and i'm 40 years old so i'm far from qualified to comment on anybodys bass playing, let alone a legend ( supposedly ).
The bass players i admire,(Harris ,Butler, Carter,, etc etc ) will be completely different to the younger generations bass players, dont ask me to name them as i'm stuck in the 70s and 80s :) .
I can honestly say i have never heard a single tune by jaco ( not even on youtube ) you can shoot me if you want but i've never really been that interested, maybe i will, maybe i wont.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='358266' date='Dec 18 2008, 08:49 PM']Body, bass, sound, oh yes.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqR84PtctA&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqR84PtctA&...feature=related[/url][/quote]

meh, i didn't even watch it all the way through (i tried, but got bored) - does nothing for me at all i'm afraid.

really loved the keys clip though!

Jaco was quite simply the groove-master. No matter how fast or complex, he could keep a line going & going ad infinitum! He's particularly a favourite of drummers for precisely this reason. The only problem musically I find with his playing is that there's no gaps. No space for contemplation. You can't take it away from him, though. There'll never be another like him.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='358420' date='Dec 18 2008, 11:33 PM']Huntington's Disease?
He is the smelly cushion humpers, pup gravy containers.[/quote]

The dog's bollocks in Welsh. Always a handy phrase, but be careful with the "ll", people could get hurt.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='358419' date='Dec 18 2008, 11:31 PM']Agreed, he was the Dali of bass guitarists, all the the time, all of the time.[/quote]

Sorry Steve, I'm with Monz and Tombboy. It doesn't look that difficult, well it would be for me, but for hundreds of other B/C'rs it's not ground breaking.

I've tried, honest I have, I've tried, even stood in Zavvi demanding to use the headphones and ploughed through 2 albums. Gave up disapointed. I've downloaded stuff as well but all to no avail. If you play bass you're supposed to like & admire Jaco, aren't you. He may have had prodigious technique, but that clip didn't reveal too much.

Balcro.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='358341' date='Dec 18 2008, 09:52 PM']I think people feel intimidated be the percieved "freedom" of his playing.....

....He was a total f***ing dude.....end of.[/quote]

I've never really had a view on him until watching that clip.

All I can say is what utter dog sh1t. Firstly, stop twiddling with f***ing knobs you gay. No one wants to see that. Also, its all loops. No one likes looping apart from Steve Lawson.

And whats with that distorted noise? That ain't music where I come from. That's a f*** up.

I cannot believe anyone could tap their foot to that. The audience are on the verge of starting a slow clap.

By the end of that, I'd be looking forward to listening to that split-arse singing about a yellow taxi.

I have a simple rule with music. If an musician is only liked by people who play that instrument, stay well clear.

As for being a total f***ing dude - I'd describe him as a f***ed up junkie who should have been more careful when picking his fights.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='358455' date='Dec 19 2008, 12:26 AM']I've never really had a view on him until watching that clip.

All I can say is what utter dog sh1t. Firstly, stop twiddling with f***ing knobs you gay. No one wants to see that. Also, its all loops. No one likes looping apart from Steve Lawson.

And whats with that distorted noise? That ain't music where I come from. That's a f*** up.

I cannot believe anyone could tap their foot to that. The audience are on the verge of starting a slow clap.

By the end of that, I'd be looking forward to listening to that split-arse singing about a yellow taxi.

I have a simple rule with music. If an musician is only liked by people who play that instrument, stay well clear.

As for being a total f***ing dude - I'd describe him as a f***ed up junkie who should have been more careful when picking his fights.[/quote]

Erm +1 *runs*

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='358455' date='Dec 19 2008, 12:26 AM']As for being a total f***ing dude - I'd describe him as a f***ed up junkie who should have been more careful when picking his fights.[/quote]

Sensitively and tastefully put.

The Jaco thing is a bit like the Billy thing,most people are only aware of their technique, even more so these days with youtube etc, particularly for younger players/music fans....it's all spoon fed..."this is how Jaco was", "this is Billy", "this is Victor", etc, etc nobody seems to look further.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='358295' date='Dec 18 2008, 09:11 PM']Bi Polar disorder, incredible stamina, a musical knowledge of unimaginable proportions and thinking that you are it and a bit = Jaco.[/quote]

Latino R&B bass player whose two musical idols were the most important rock guitarist in history (Hendrix) and one of the two bop masters (Charlie Parker).

So add Latin + R&B + Rock + Jazz + Bass + Electric Guitar + Brass to the equation. Not really impressed by the clip tbh. Bit of an incoherent mess (with a few goodies but not really).

I like this concert, must have watched it dozens of times.
I just love the start where the woman is looking through the binoculars! What a segue!!
I like Jaco, A LOT, but i'm no musical expert so can't / won't have well reasoned and thought out debates about the pro's and cons of his music without coming out sounding like an arse!

Cheers.

Fortunately the other musicians I grew up with had never heard of Jaco, so I just heard about him via the internet, so I wasn't ever peer pressured into listening or even liking him. IMO, it's a mixed bag, and that's not so much a reference to pieces done by early drug-free Jaco and then later troubled Jaco; I mean that some of his stuff was great, some so-so, and some quite poor (again IMO).

He is a legend in his own right, having done things with the bass that hadn't been done before (new techniques etc) or ever done to the same level as he did it, he brought the electric bass to the forefront of a band, in a solo context, a different sound, and a dynamic (if a little erratic) personality. The same can be said of Hendrix with the electric guitar.

However, I think that we often get confused between their [i]ability [/i]and their [i]influence[/i]. Both were undoubtedly excellent musicians (at least at the time), but I personally think they are overrated as musicians by musicians today. They were influential on music then and that influence can still be felt today, but I don't think that their technical ability and musicianship warrants the hype the get to this day.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='358566' date='Dec 19 2008, 09:14 AM']Does anyone else feel this way?

Mark[/quote]

Not really, Jaco is overlooked as a composer IMO due to the stellar nature of his playing, but if you listen to the playing he put in on some of the Weather Report albums not only was he ahead of the ability of some of todays top players he was also breaking ground in gargantuan leaps, even if the likes of Victor Wooten and Hadrien Feraud can outdo him for speed and fluidity they in my view don't come anywhere near him as an all round artist composer and musician (just my view)
Check out Port of Entry and Havona for just magical music making.
People that don't like it have that within their right, but to my mind it is so utterly pointless to think about it to the point of being insulting about others' taste.
I don't really listen to him a great deal as overall I find it a bit too much but there is some awesome stuff in there.

I would also point out that they were superstars in their day doing stadium gigs around the world so it was incumbent on them to be entertainers in whatever style fitted the time i.e high waisted white flares (no different to Slade!!)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='358583' date='Dec 19 2008, 09:36 AM']People that don't like it have that within their right, but to my mind it is so utterly pointless to think about it to the point of being insulting about others' taste.[/quote]

But I lack the maturity to just say "not my cup of tea".

When I heard that clip I honestly thought it was one of those comedy vids where its overdubbed by someone making random noise. It's so self-indulgent it makes me want to climb a bell tower with a high-powered rifle.

Edited by BigBeefChief