Why become a member? ×

Helix Stomp - Pedal Board Wars!

Al Krow

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Pointing to actual differences then - is it true that the FI, C4, etc have actual waveform generators, e,g. square wave, sine, triangle, sawtooth - but the Helix can only do synth effects by combining fuzz/octave/filter?

Yes, C4 and FI have actual waveform generators. I don’t know about Stomp. 

10 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Depending on the synth of course, But it will struggle with fast lines surely - any type of envelope, or opening and embellishment of the note would require space, so if you try a fast line on that kind of synth, it will sound pants on any synth 

Not quite. A keyboard synth will already get you there - that is the gold standard. The challenge is for a bass synth to get us close. HX Stomp doesn't have a hope, but @Quatschmacher maybe able to get to something pretty close on the FI :) 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Not quite. A keyboard synth will already get you there - that is the gold standard. The challenge is for a bass synth to get us close. HX Stomp doesn't have a hope, but @Quatschmacher maybe able to get to something pretty close on the FI :) 

Do you mean the pad at the start or the buzzy/hard-sync lead sound?

The latter i.e. from 0.25 in

I presume the pad a the start will require polyphonic which the FI can't do (but the SY-1 maybe able to manage)?

PS it is the speed of tracking on the buzzy / hard-sync that is key point here,  I don't doubt for a moment that the FI can do the core sound.

Edited by Al Krow

9 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Pointing to actual differences then - is it true that the FI, C4, etc have actual waveform generators, e,g. square wave, sine, triangle, sawtooth - but the Helix can only do synth effects by combining fuzz/octave/filter?

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, C4 and FI have actual waveform generators. I don’t know about Stomp. 

That's certainly my understanding about the Stomp i.e. it provides a synth model / emulation and does not have an actual synth engine generator.

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The latter i.e. from 0.25 in

I presume the pad a the start will require polyphonic which the FI can't do (but the SY-1 maybe able to manage)?

PS it is the speed of tracking on the buzzy / hard-sync that is key point here,  I don't doubt for a moment that the FI can do the core sound.

I imagine the line was sequenced and/or the sixteenth notes were ratcheted.  

31 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

You can play fast syncopated lines like that with an analog gated fuzz like the Diabolik, so the Helix might be able to offer something similarly gated without having to rely on a waveform generator?

That’s fighting talk, it’s already been decreed Helix can’t do synth

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

That’s fighting talk, it’s already been decreed Helix can’t do synth as well as the best bass synth pedals currently available

Let's keep this clean and avoid wanton willy waving please 😉

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

This is a genuine question... at what point in your synth tone quest do you actually erm you know put the bass down and pick up a synth? 
Well not pick it up, it would be better on a stand beside you. 

Unless it's a keytar.

Fair point! Bass pedals are catching up but not there yet. I think it depends on how synth heavy your set is. If it's only for 2 or 3 songs then, for me, I wouldn't want the hassle of another instrument to set up at gigs and get proficient on - as my love is bass guitar. But I'm sure there will be others who take a different, and equally valid for them, line. 

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Fair point! Bass pedals are catching up but not there yet. I think it depends on how synth heavy your set is. If it's only for 2 or 3 songs then, for me, I wouldn't want the hassle of another instrument to set up at gigs and get proficient on - as my love is bass guitar. But I'm sure there will be others who take a different, and equally valid for them, line. 

There was a guy who lived near where I used to live and he had a Peavey midi bass, each fret was split so that he was getting the midi signals that was then fed into whatever actual synth he wanted. It was awesome. 

26 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

There was a guy who lived near where I used to live and he had a Peavey midi bass, each fret was split so that he was getting the midi signals that was then fed into whatever actual synth he wanted. It was awesome. 

I think @Quatschmacher has been eyeing up a midi bass for a while for that very reason!

Me - I'll hopefully be content with the usability of the Boss SY-1 when it lands in the next month, likely not going to be as good as the FI or C4 but will be good enough for me.

The guy from Little Dragon uses something similar live  - not sure which brand of bass it is. You'll see him use it from about 9:30 on this video but if you don't know who Little Dragon are (you're welcome) just enjoy the whole thing.

Edited by krispn

5 hours ago, krispn said:

The guy from Little Dragon uses something similar live  - not sure which brand of bass it is. You'll see him use it from about 9:30 on this video but if you don't know who Little Dragon are (you're welcome) just enjoy the whole thing.

It’s an Industrial Radio one, which is the one I’ve been thinking about getting.  

5 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Been there, done that. It was going to be the bass to end all basses (like every bass I buy). It did what it did very well, but was not for me as a straight bass guitar so out the door it went (like every bass I buy).

They were not SUPER rare so there must be some languishing around somewhere.

59 minutes ago, owen said:

Been there, done that. It was going to be the bass to end all basses (like every bass I buy). It did what it did very well, but was not for me as a straight bass guitar so out the door it went (like every bass I buy).

They were not SUPER rare so there must be some languishing around somewhere.

Peavey or Industrial Radio?

7 hours ago, krispn said:

Nice set.