Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Competition!!

ped

My bassist of choice is Dennis Dunaway, bassist for Alice Cooper. Listening to those very present, yet so well balanced, flawlessly played bass lines, is a real treat, time after time.

Edited by Jay2U
  • Like 1

On 20/07/2019 at 09:41, bumnote said:

For those of us who are a certain age, -Jet Harris.

Also for some who are not of a certain age! I wasn't born until the 70s and didn't listen to The Shadows until the late 80s but they were an important influence, eventually getting me going in the direction of jazz.
Stuff like this was awesome.

1 hour ago, knirirr said:

Also for some who are not of a certain age! I wasn't born until the 70s and didn't listen to The Shadows until the late 80s but they were an important influence, eventually getting me going in the direction of jazz.

Still played at my local shadows club

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jay2U said:

My bassist of choice is Dennis Dunaway, bassist for Alice Cooper. Listening to those very present, yet so well balanced, flawlessly played bass lines, is a real treat, time after time.

Funnily enough I was noodling around with Halo Of Flies yesterday.

33 minutes ago, prowla said:

Funnily enough I was noodling around with Halo Of Flies yesterday.

I listened to this song a while ago and rediscovered that epic bass.

Edited by Jay2U

3 hours ago, knirirr said:
On 20/07/2019 at 10:41, bumnote said:

For those of us who are a certain age, -Jet Harris.

Does anyone else remember the 'interlude' the BBC used to use of the Shadows playing Apache - curiously dressed as cavemen?

Jaco Pastorius

I wouldn't say that I'm biggest fan of Jaco's music, in fact of the list of Rotosound's endorsee' there are many more I would choose to listen to.  That being said I do think Continuum is a lovely composition and some of his work with Joni Mitchell on Hejira was fantastic.

However the reason I nominated him is I remember reading when I first picked up bass playing that he had a different colour silk wrap for each string.  He saw notes as colours and wanted that represented within his bass - as a newbie to bass playing I really liked this connection between music and colours and it's stuck with me ever since.  Now I'm a few years on in my bass journey I'm starting to play more funk I recognise Jaco's contribution to the evolution of the instrument and how the 16th note grooves he famed for have inspired so many of the players that subsequently inspire me.

jaco_strings.jpg

ME, as I use them to grate that very old Parmigiano. The local farmer use them to cut his cow's horns. And I will recommend them to my wife's sister, who is a medical pedicure, so when the electricity has gone, she will be able to finish the sanding work. 🤔 🤣 :crazy:

• Haha 1

Doug Wimbish, because of his versatility. He has been a super in-demand sessions guy. There's a reason why, he can lay down some serious grooves. Check out his playing on Living Colour's "Wall". 

• Like 1

On 31/07/2019 at 19:17, hihat said:

Doug Wimbish, because of his versatility. He has been a super in-demand sessions guy. There's a reason why, he can lay down some serious grooves. Check out his playing on Living Colour's "Wall". 

Truuuuue! Maybe I should've mentioned him instead.... Humm... 

For me it has to be Jaco Pastorius. Not only for all he did to inspire people to pick up and play bass, but also fretless bass. For his creativity and expressiveness in making the bass talk to you with his melodic runs, harmonics and chords. All of this which was captured with his recognisable and famous tone. A huge influence and impact of the bass community and future generation of bassist.

• Like 2

For me, it has to be Chris Squire. He is one of the reasons I became a bass player. He was never afraid to bunk tradition and use all the fretboard and play his bass like a lead guitar. His tone was very bright, even when playing lower register notes. Sadly missed but never forgotten.

Jean Jacques Burnel for me. He’s used Swing Bass for as long as I have been playing bass and it’s kinda etched into my mind now so that I just buy multipacks of Rotosound Rotobass and re-string every new bass that comes through my door. His bass playing is unique and aggressive but melodic and punchy without being too twangy, that’s a good basis for my own bass explorations. Tough too, they can take a lot of hard playing. I know what I like and I’m not going anywhere.

I always carry a set of 45/65/85/105s in each bag, (as essential as fresh knickers and anti-social “go away” earbuds.)

8F63CDEE-A546-475A-AFE0-EFCD2CEF754C.thumb.jpeg.1579966921cd23893068c78e4fd865fa.jpeg

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess
  • Like 3

For me, as for many others, it's John Entwistle. He changed the sound of bass forever and a big part of that is due to roundwound rotosound bass strings. His tone and playing made an indelible impact on everything after it and I don't think rock music would be the same without that partnership.

17 minutes ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

For me, as for many others, it's John Entwistle. He changed the sound of bass forever and a big part of that is due to roundwound rotosound bass strings. His tone and playing made an indelible impact on everything after it and I don't think rock music would be the same without that partnership.

I think I agree, it has to be John Entwistle.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

Jean Jacques Burnel for me. He’s used Swing Bass for as long as I have been playing bass and it’s kinda etched into my mind now so that I just buy multipacks of Rotosound Rotobass and re-string every new bass that comes through my door. His bass playing is unique and aggressive but melodic and punchy without being too twangy, that’s a good basis for my own bass explorations. Tough too, they can take a lot of hard playing. I know what I like and I’m not going anywhere.

I always carry a set of 45/65/85/105s in each bag, (as essential as fresh knickers and anti-social “go away” earbuds.)

8F63CDEE-A546-475A-AFE0-EFCD2CEF754C.thumb.jpeg.1579966921cd23893068c78e4fd865fa.jpeg

Is that spare underwear in your case ?:D

• Haha 1