Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Competition!!

ped

My favourite Rotosound endorsee is Billy Sheehan. His very individual approach to bass playing sets him apart. But more than that, he has 'his sound'. His tricontinental collaboration of player, bass guitar and strings are what underlie that sound. He is very discerning in his choice of equipment; every link in the chain has to be right. For him to play Rotosound strings on recordings and live around the world, you know that they are reliable strings. Further, you can tell straightaway that his choice of gauges for the BS66 set was made with research and care to be spot on. A player of Billy's calibre and artistic vision has to have the right tools to achieve that vision; there's no doubt that he has done that with the help of Rotosound bass strings.

At the risk of being obvious, Geddy Lee. I ignored Rush for years until giving them a proper chance and I haven't looked back. Geddy is relatively unflashy but everything he does, he plays amazingly well, usually while singing or playing synth at the same time. I keep trying to learn Rush songs to find there's one part that defeats me, which he makes look effortless.

Duff McKagan. The bass, the sound, the attitude, the songwriting. Also comes across as a nice guy (who has learned from his past!). He is everything a bass player should aspire to be. Lines that sound simple but are made complicated by the 'feel' with which they need to be played to recreate. The energy to keep going, keep creating, after all these years. The contribution in bass and songwriting on the greatest rock album ever, Appetite for Destruction. Look no further than Duff!

@ped
"(...)All you have to do is 
tell us who your favourite Rotosund endorsee is, and why."
Soooo....
my favourite RotoSound endorsee artist is ME, MYSELF AND I.
- I don't change strings until I play a good gig or do a studio work.
- I don't complain for the strings until I tear off.
- I can tell you "oh man, the RED WICKS are fine - Elixir sucks with a pick. Buy 5x Red Warwick and you will get more" and you'll know that it's true.
- The only deal that every bassplayer needs is to be the "String Endorsee". Living in the world of eternal GAS is not worthy of sayin' that "HEY MAN, FODERA IS THE BEST BASS IN THIS F****N WORLD" because it's not true. 

You can get married with one woman, but - with whole respect, we're all the same kids guys when we see a stunning bass guitar! :)

...and then I woke up. :/ 

John Entwistle.

It's simple really. He developed the strings in cooperation with Rotosound in the first instance.

Secondly, anyone who suggests Billy Sheehan, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Steve Harris should probably realise that they were all influenced by John Entwistle to a greater or lesser extent. Taking away his influence alters rock bass playing in an incredibly negative way. The world of music would have a lot less excitement and lightning in it and more dreary, boring playing where no chances are taken. Nobody has played like him since and that is the mark of a true innovator.

The esteemed Mssr Billy Sheehan for me. Not only does he do crazy things with the bass, but his choice of string gauge is perfect on my Attitude bass. 0.043 on the top to allow easier bends, and .110 on the bottom so it remains solid when flicking the d-tuner down to low E.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

The esteemed Mssr Billy Sheehan for me. Not only does he do crazy things with the bass, but his choice of string gauge is perfect on my Attitude bass. 0.043 on the top to allow easier bends, and .110 on the bottom so it remains solid when flicking the d-tuner down to low E.

Spot on - same here. 

Ali McMordie is the first bass player I heard. I can still vividly remember sitting in my neighbours bedroom at the age of 13 and listening to Suspect Device on his Amstrad tower hifi. It was a complete gestalt moment. It was the first time I heard the bass and understanding it as a separate instrument. From that point, on I was hooked on SLF and when I eventually bought my first bass at the age of 16, Ali was the player that taught me everything I needed to know about playing the bass. Melody and movement within even the most aggressive songs was possible. No boring plodding away. The bass could play a tune all by itself yet add so much to the song without over crowding it. 

When I started a YTS at 18 it’s fair to say I was obsessed with bass and music. It consumed my life. So when I met a fellow bass player in the same office I was ecstatic to be able to gas about players, music and gear all day. 

It was this friend that opened the door to Rush and Geddy Lee. This influence came at the perfect time for me to be able to aspire to greater levels of musicianship. Geddys playing floored me. “How can anyone play the bass like that??”  Another vivid memory is listening to a C90 compilation on my Walkman of Rush made by my coworker, on the overnight National Express to London to visit The 1988 British Music Fair at Olympia, little or no sleep with the soundtrack of Free Will, Cinderella Man, YYZ and all Villa Strangiato. For over 30 years, the unlikely combination of Ali McMordie and Geddy Lee have been the two main musical influences in my playing, the mainstays in my listening habit and made me a complete SLF and Rush bore to my friends. Needless to say, a black 76 4001 and a 79 Guild 302 are in my collection. 

Edited by cd_david

My favourite would be Chris Squire. Immense, cutting tone and progressive (if you’ll excuse the pun) lines, putting bass at the forefront of the mix and influencing a generation of bassists. For me, he embodies Roto tone more than anyone.

Having said that, I also have to tip my hat to The Ox, who was a huge influence  on Chris and a million others, and who was without doubt the originator of “the” Rotosound tone. 

I’ve used Rotos almost exclusively since 1980. The only times I really used any thing else was a period in the  early 90s (IIRC) when I struggled to get hold of them and I had to suffer Elites. I’ve occasionally experimented with other strings but for me nothing comes close. 

The One, The Only, Late ( apparently he was always late ) Great

Chris Squire

His playing style was so melodic and the punchy gritty sound so unique at the time, but clearly inspired other players over the years.

Bought a Tuxedo 4001S Ric new in 1977. I've been lucky enough to have several other guitars over the years but have never gigged with anything other than the Ric, I'd feel I was being disloyal.....

In 42 years I've only ever used Rotosounds and for as long as I can remember then it's been the RS66LD Swing Bass set. They just suit the Ric and me perfectly.

• Like 1

Hi folks.

My choice would have to be Paul Gray ex/previously/currently with The Damned. Check out The Black Album or Strawberries. A beautifully melodic player with a fantastic Rickenbacker tone. I've seen them quite a few times recently (and have tickets for their London Palladium show in October) and he just sets the whole band off.

Please don't leave again Paul!

Edited by Mr Randall

6 hours ago, Mr Randall said:

Hi folks.

My choice would have to be Paul Gray ex/previously/currently with The Damned. Check out The Black Album or Strawberries. A beautifully melodic player with a fantastic Rickenbacker tone. I've seen them quite a few times recently (and have tickets for their London Palladium show in October) and he just sets the whole band off.

Please don't leave again Paul!

@Mr Randall Was going to choose him for the compo too. Wasn't sure how many would have heard of him. Lol

• Thanks 1