Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Competition!!

ped

Ginger Wildheart.

Yes, now that I'm 30 and a musician myself I know there's 'better' players or whatever but that's not important. A punk rock band from my hometown that formed in he year that I was born made guitar music cool to 14 year-old me and they're pretty much the reason I picked up an instrument to begin with. I've been lucky enough to meet Ginger once or twice as well.

• Like 1

Until I read this thread, I had no idea that so many of the awesome players who influenced me so heavily were Rotosound endorsers!. I know other people have said that too, but it is such a surprise. Foxton, Burnel, Pastorius, Paton, Squire and Sheehan were all big influences; Mark King, Stanley Clarke, Herbie Flowers and Steve Harris helped to shape my tone and style in ways that I could never have imagined without hearing them.

But the daddy of them all, the sound I hear in my head when I think of Roto roundwounds (apart from his awful Wal and Superwounds era!!), and the reason I picked up a bass in the first place back in 1979 has to be Sir Gedward Leee. A tone that can knock down wals (sorry, WALLS) and yet caress the knickers off the Queen. Or even Freddie Mercury. Same thing perhaps? 😎

Aye. Geddy Lee. He'll do for me.

8 hours ago, mangotango said:

Jaco. The one, the only...a total re-definition of bass guitar and also bass guitar sound.

As soon as I found one that I could afford, being a poverty-stricken student at the time, I bought a Fender Jazz because of him...and strung it with Rotosounds, natch.

... but did it make you sound like him?

it didn't work for me :¬). 

I fear it's all in the fingers (and the two Acoustic valve amps .. and the custom pickups and the delay line between the two amps ...and on the Joni Mitchel recordings at least, the double tracking).

• Like 1

Hands down JJ Burnel for me the stranglers were the first band I went to see in 1977 when I was fifteen.

I said to this man who was stood next to me what type of guitar is that ? And he answered a fender precision bass son and that was it for me. I saved up the money to buy a fender p bass black and maple of course £135 brand new I think. 

lve seen hundreds of bands over the years but JJ's sound has never been bettered IMO I've see the stranglers dozens of times now and his sound still to this day flaws me.

i spoke to JJ once and we discussed his sound he's big fan of British made products that's why he uses rotosound strings Ashdown amps and a John shuker Bass.

Edited by marleaux62

12 hours ago, NickA said:

... but did it make you sound like him?

it didn't work for me :¬). 

I fear it's all in the fingers (and the two Acoustic valve amps .. and the custom pickups and the delay line between the two amps ...and on the Joni Mitchel recordings at least, the double tracking).

Sadly, though that was the idea, nothing in the world was ever going to make me sound like him.

Maybe a bit more like a "him" version of "me", but.. 9_9

OMG! It's Paul Gray all the way!! I guess he's an endorsee, certainly should be. Used Rotosounds since year dot!
Eddie & The Hot Rods, The Damned, UFO and a load of other incredible projects under his belt. He plays with such fluidity, style and passion. A true inspiration. 

It will always be Jaco for me.

The quacking bark as he bubbled a 16th groove had me hooked as a teenager. There’s no gimmick, no hyperbole and hype ; they just consistently work. Period.

Sincerely I have used SM66s on all my basses. Yes, I’ve tried others, “they must be better, they cost more”. But they never are.

Rotosound SwingBass all the way.

Doug Wimbish.

His career and legacy is enormous, but if I had to pick one thing, it would be Stain, by Living Color. His playing on that album is SO incredible. I've been listening to it fairly regularly since I bought it back in 1993 and the hairs on the back of my neck still stand up every time I hear it!

Eude

For me it would be Roger Waters. Not the greatest bass player in the world, probably not even in the Floyd as well, but that tone is his 100%. And part of his great tone is due to the Rotos he's been using since the beginning.

I realised recently that every time I get or make a new bass, I'm trying to cope the RW tone and this always leads me, one way or another, to Rotos. These days I'm playing with roundwounds, switching between Nickels and Stainless Steels, to find out which I prefer more.

Edited by Papalampraina

Mine is the one and only JAE John Entwistle. 

This guy is the reason for bass being played and sounding like it is today, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't probably have the roundwound sound. Working along with James Howe to create that brightness incredible. All you have to do is listen to one of the most talked about bass sounds ever, live at leeds!! 

That bright chugging he gets from using a plectrum and you know he's using it, to that powerful driving low end and of course the trademark roto growl. He was a genius and as said before he did for bass what Jimi Hendrix did for guitar. 

RIP Ox, Gone but never forgotten. 

• Like 1

I'm a massive Roger Waters fan, so almost selected him by default.

However I think I'll go with JJ Burnel - often favouring a 'bass up front' tone and letting Joe Public know what a bass sounds like. For all the cover songs I've played over the years none have been more fun than 'No More Heroes'.

George

On 09/07/2019 at 13:56, ped said:

Hi folks

Long time BC friend Jason at Rotosound wants to offer you the chance to win big in a new BC exclusive competition. The prizes:

6 people will win a year's worth of Rotosound strings (8 sets) and a factory tour.

20 runners up will win a Rotosound T shirt!

All you have to do is tell us who your favourite Rotosund endorsee is, and why. We'll pick the winners from the thread in one month's time and arrange the prizes. So please comment below for your chance to win!

Cheers

ped

rotosound_logo.jpg

If you're interested, BC visited the factory a few years ago - you can read about that here!

Geddy Lee. I started playing bass around 76 and his aggressive tone is what changed my playing style from pick to finger style.

Edited by dmccombe7

Only a man: Steve Harris

Why? Many years ago I started to play bass after listening Piece Of Mind album   🤘🤘 and his sound is still unmistakable

Edited by gioby1