Why become a member? ×

G&L switching

Owen

So, the LukeFRC's L1000 I played in the Bassbash has all the usual G&L action going on. One switch was the so called OMG mode. This involves (apparently) putting a capicitor across one of the coils which cuts the treble so there is a percieved bass boost. It was an attractive noise. Would this be doable on a Jazz?

TIA

As G&L's L 1000/2000/2500 are actual passive basses. When you switch it to the so called "active" setting and it puts a line driver in the circuit to boost the output. So there are no active tone controls as in a normal cut/boost active bass, so you would assume it is do-able. If you look at the diagram, (I've attached an L2000 so ignore the pickup selector as it has the additional pickup), and I can't see how it does as you describe. I think it is the Coil Switching that is the OMG mode. Switching from Parallel to Series. 

I could be completely wrong so let's see if the combined brainpower of BassChat can figure it out.

l2k_wiring_diagram.pdf

20 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

try it. 

I think it's been tuned to that pickup in the G&L though....

Don't be standing in the way of the creative flow! I have a bass ready and waiting for it. I wonder if I could put a series parallel switch in there as well for another flavour? This bass was very close to going active bit this seems more fun. 

@KiOgon, obviously whenever there is a question mark that is directed at you! The bass at the moment has a vol and a tone and a 3 position toggle for neck/both/bridge. It also has 2 DFA knobs to fill holes that were there before it turned into my bass and a mini toggle which also does nothing. 

How about vol/tone/G&L magic/series parallel all on knobs and pickup selection on a 3 way toggle?

59 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

try it. 

I think it's been tuned to that pickup in the G&L though....

True - but a similar effect with any 4 wire pick up.

3 minutes ago, owen said:

Don't be standing in the way of the creative flow! I have a bass ready and waiting for it. I wonder if I could put a series parallel switch in there as well for another flavour? This bass was very close to going active bit this seems more fun. 

@KiOgon, obviously whenever there is a question mark that is directed at you! The bass at the moment has a vol and a tone and a 3 position toggle for neck/both/bridge. It also has 2 DFA knobs to fill holes that were there before it turned into my bass and a mini toggle which also does nothing. 

How about vol/tone/G&L magic/series parallel all on knobs and pickup selection on a 3 way toggle?

No  problem - errrr hang on - how much switching? Head scratching mode engaged!

1 hour ago, owen said:

Volume   — tone — 4 way rotary switch with neck / both series with cap / both parallel / bridge 

1 hour ago, KiOgon said:

True - but a similar effect with any 4 wire pick up.

Ah but we are talking Jazz Bass here so the coil split is already effectively done, it's just the OMG part that the switch would do. I guess it could be done on each pick-up. 🙂

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Volume   — tone — 4 way rotary switch with neck / both series with cap / both parallel / bridge 

Could do

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

If that’s possible

Yes

7 hours ago, BassBunny said:

Ah but we are talking Jazz Bass here so the coil split is already effectively done, it's just the OMG part that the switch would do. I guess it could be done on each pick-up. 🙂

Yes Jazz pups - using 2 wires each - wiring the omg switch effectively as series/parallel with the 2 separate pups instead of the 2 coils on the g&l.

Could do on each if 4 wire pups I s'pose..