Why become a member? ×

2016 Bravewood ‘58 Precision. Blonde nitro. 40mm neck. Light weight. £1400
£1500
Cornwall

cameltoe

For regrettable sale is my Bravewood ‘58 Precision Bass commissioned by myself in 2015 and made by John Elliott between July 2015 and May 2016. 

I’d owned and played quite a few Fender basses over the years and got to understand what I liked and didn’t like about each of them. I’d gassed for a custom bass for a few years and in 2015 I finally had the money together to start making enquiries. 

I specified a 40mm neck, rolled fingerboard, lightweight body, and with deep body contours/chamfers. John had me take a few of my basses down to his workshop near Redruth so he could see what I liked about them, before starting work. 

It exceeded my expectations and it really is a beautiful bass to look and and hold. The pictures do not do it justice, the colour especially is much more rich and Blonde in the flesh. 

Since I had it it’s only been gigged twice at private events where I could trust it wouldn’t be nicked or damaged, one or two rehearsals, and played at home on occasion. It looks the same as the day I picked it up. 

My reason for selling is I’m barely playing bass anymore, sadly. I haven’t gigged in 2 years and some recent financial issues mean I can’t justify having a bass of this value sat around not being played, not just because of my own financial situation, but the fact this is a bass that deserves to be played!

Swamp Ash body in vintage transparent Blonde nitro with reliced and checked finish. Maple neck with 40mm nut width. F logo on headstock. Vintage-correct hardware all round. Wizard vintage-spec pick up and Hiscox hardcase. And at 7.9lbs John reckoned it was the lightest Precision he’d ever made. 

John replaced the pickup with another brand-new Wizard in November 2016 after the original one mysteriously died, and due to inevitable neck-dive because of the light weight, I fitted some Gotoh GBR640 tuners which I reliced to match the original Gotoh’s John fitted. 

I didn’t have a clue how to price this, as Bravewood’s don’t come up very often, therefore I’ve listed it at 1500 *now 1400* which is what I originally paid . I’m happy for someone to tell me if this is too steep, but I think it is worth it as it’s hardly been used and is a wonderful instrument. 

I played it for the first time in months the other day, the set up is still very good but I cannot remember what strings are on it, although they are roundwounds with silver ball ends and still have a lot of life left.

I will not post this, I am happy to meet any prospective buyer at my home address in Cornwall or I can travel within a reasonable distance to meet you, but I want to make sure the new buyer is completely happy as this is not an off-the-shelf bass, but a completely custom-made instrument. 

John put pictures of the bass on his website and you can see it here http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/page21.html

I will also include the whole email conversation between me and John to show how and when it was commissioned. 

The pictures I’ve posted are what John sent me once it was completed, plus a cheeky couple of it at home the other day. You can get a better sense of the true colour in these pics which is why I took them.

Any Q’s please ask! 

Will

A35DCCA0-3965-4A20-B296-6E0115065E05.jpeg

A3411C81-3BEE-43EE-9B68-BC8F072E83E4.jpeg

C2DC0AC0-C6E6-4605-9122-CADB9E61D334.jpeg

EFD33DC4-93CE-4FD4-BD24-D4699D096A68.jpeg

86009BDC-C8F9-4CE0-B99C-7D5A6FC04A55.jpeg

C9959293-12DA-4539-9A9E-0DC2230B077D.jpeg

E237AB13-BA61-4514-BA6C-C10432D2DA73.jpeg

B6EBAF22-2EBB-49BE-AB8A-D9A7ED0B0CC9.jpeg

2BE69B98-748D-4683-9420-481878F3413C.jpeg

A560636F-CC10-440F-AF60-68CE05CAE855.jpeg

Edited by cameltoe
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, owen said:

I used to own a Bravewood. I also own a 66 J. The Bravewood scratched exactly the same itch. It also taught me that P nut width is for me. But that was not the fault of the Bravewood. 

Lucky man. 

As you mention it, the neck is still very much a Precision in terms of profile and feel, it has that slightly chunkier and less tapered style when compared to a J bass, it was just slightly pulled in width-wise at the nut, 40mm instead of a more conventional 42mm. 

This was based on me liking the width on a 1992 MIJ Squier Silver Series I owned at the time. Seemed to fit my hands best when a J always felt too slim, and a full-fat P neck just a bit too chunky. 

Thanks for all the replies so far. 

I've been fortunate in having had a few guitars from John.   He repaired the neck heel on a 69 P Bass (which also had a A width neck), I traded here a few years back.   Whoever is lucky enough to acquire this guitar will not be disappointed.   Fabulous bass.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I’ve received two PM’s regarding the price. 

One is from a fellow Bravewood owner telling me the price is spot on, the other that it’s too high. 

With that in mind, and the lack of interest, if anyone is considering this bass but is being put off by the price (or anything else for that matter), please contact me via PM so we can discuss. 

As I said from the start I’d no idea how to price this, but based on the very limited use, condition and custom nature of the instrument I’d priced it the best I could at the time. 

Happy to let anyone have a plod on it before committing. 

Cheers

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, merelli said:

hi will

do you still have your PB ?

i'm in late for the deal but maybe you now if you can sell it to me or give the mail of your customer if you have already sold it

thanks a lot

FYI, the seller last visited BC in May 2020, so I don't know if he will see this message. Maybe PM instead as that may go to his email inbox?

• 4 weeks later...