Why become a member? ×

Unexpected Purchases?

Chatting with a mate who has an artist deal with Vintage, he told me he could get me a good deal if I want one, jokingly I said no chance, there's a good one on the Bay at the minute for nowt. Wasn't going to bid but put a £41 bid in and won it. Picked it up expecting a duffer, pleasantly surprised! He now played said instrument a few times and said if I ever want to sell it, he'll happily give more than £42 for it.:lol:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Little Dragon said:

Chatting with a mate who has an artist deal with Vintage, he told me he could get me a good deal if I want one, jokingly I said no chance, there's a good one on the Bay at the minute for nowt. Wasn't going to bid but put a £41 bid in and won it. Picked it up expecting a duffer, pleasantly surprised! He now played said instrument a few times and said if I ever want to sell it, he'll happily give more than £42 for it.:lol:

Vintage are stupid cheap and absolutely superb. I'd have one over a Fender any day, and for a minute fraction of the cost. 

• Like 3

Walked into the local second hand music shop to discover they had shifted some old heavyweight gear of mine. While waiting for the guy to sort the cash and paperwork I had a noodle on a Rick copy. 

How close is the money you owe me to the price of this bass? Give me 20 we'll call it quits. 

Boom! I have a new bass. For £20. Or so it seemed to me. Yeah I could have pocketed the cash but I guarantee that it would have evaporated very quickly whereas the bass has not. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 2

I'm a sucker for a bargain.

My brother gave me my B2 (in all fairness, I later gave him my Hohner Jazz because my Performer does everything it did, better).

My performer was abandoned in a corner of the practice room my band used to borrow, so crusted in gunk I got sold it dirt cheap (turns out iot was only about five or six years old, it looked nearer 25 but was mint under the crap).

My Jack V was ridiculously cheap s/h. As in absurdly cheap.

My Jaguar SS felt so good after trying out a horrible Wal and the guy knocked 10% off (so I spent eh money I saved on a mandolin strap...)

Then Stew did one of his dutch auctions on the Thunder 1.

Now his bloody Explorer is preying on my mind night and day...

I was on my way to have lunchtime pizza with some friends in a busy tourist beachside area.I parked my car and saw a music shop I didn't know about.

Had a few minutes to spare so went in,said hello to the owner. And there it was, an SX short scale P bass. $200 brand new.

Ummed and ahhed, then left to join my mates.

After our meal I went in and bought the bass. 

I was only going out for pizza, HONEST

On 11/07/2019 at 15:16, Newfoundfreedom said:

Vintage are stupid cheap and absolutely superb. I'd have one over a Fender any day, and for a minute fraction of the cost. 

They are incredibly good instruments aren’t they, and not just for the money, at twice the price they would still be good value imo.

• Like 2

On 11/07/2019 at 15:16, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'd assumed they were just cheap crap because of the low price and cheesy name. I shoudl know better than to assume!

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'd assumed they were just cheap crap because of the low price and cheesy name. I shoudl know better than to assume!

No they're absolutely ridiculously good considering the price point. Definitely the best quality "budget" instruments I've ever played. They're much better than a lot of basses 4 or 5 times the price. The Wilkinson hardware is massively underrated. I don't even know how they can build them at that price, let alone make a profit. (YMMV)