Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Guys, I downloaded the manual for my CTM100 but it doesn't tell me how long to warm the tubes before I hit the on switch. 

Any advice? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some folk would say 5-10 minutes. 

Myself, once I turn on my Trace V6 on I give it about 90 seconds or so before I hit standby. That is the case though if the amp is sitting in the same place and isn't being moved between use.

If the amp has been in transit and I had just taken the amp from a very cold environment (from a car in the middle of December to a venue), I would probably let the amp sit for 5-10 minutes before I would even turn the amp on at all. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thodrik said:

Some folk would say 5-10 minutes. 

Myself, once I turn on my Trace V6 on I give it about 90 seconds or so before I hit standby. That is the case though if the amp is sitting in the same place and isn't being moved between use.

If the amp has been in transit and I had just taken the amp from a very cold environment (from a car in the middle of December to a venue), I would probably let the amp sit for 5-10 minutes before I would even turn the amp on at all. 

 

Cheers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no need to wait. the amp just won't work until they're warm. The only reason for standby mode is so you can shut down the amp on a break without having to touch the volume, and not have to wait for the tubes to heat again when break is over. Many amps don't even have a standby mode and they're none the worse for wear for the lack of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

There's no need to wait. the amp just won't work until they're warm. The only reason for standby mode is so you can shut down the amp on a break without having to touch the volume, and not have to wait for the tubes to heat again when break is over. Many amps don't even have a standby mode and they're none the worse for wear for the lack of it.

Thanks for that Bill. I'd not heard this before. I was under the impression i had to warm them before I could risk turning on hence the 'pre-heat' button

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

There's no need to wait. the amp just won't work until they're warm. The only reason for standby mode is so you can shut down the amp on a break without having to touch the volume, and not have to wait for the tubes to heat again when break is over. Many amps don't even have a standby mode and they're none the worse for wear for the lack of it.

That is actually good to know. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously that article should bve required reading for all us valve users:

 

" Don’t use it as a “beer break” switch. For short breaks, simply turn down the volume control (or mute switch if you have one) and don’t use the standby switch, so there is not that nasty pop in the house sound system that could damage speaker drivers. If the time between sound check and performing is longer than 20 minutes, turn the amplifier completely off. You only need 5 minutes at the most to completely warm up a tube amplifier. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As far as I'm concerned that article is a myth. My first amp was a '65 Fender Bassman that I bought new. In the US everyone who could afford them played Fender, everyone turned on both the power and the standby switches at the same time after setting up, and everyone used the standby switch for beer, or other substances, breaks. I also never heard a pop from using the switch, or saw a driver or power supply cap damaged as a result.

Quoted from a '60s Fender Concert Amp manual:

Standby Switch: This switch turns the amplifier on and off. In the Standby position the amplifier is off; however, the tube filaments are left on as to eliminate warm up time, provided that the main Power Switch is on. Use of this feature during short breaks versus using the Power Switch will increase tube life.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, valves are like lightbulbs. The thermal shock of switching on is more severe than metal loss while running, so the more you switch the heaters on and off teh shorter the valve life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/07/2019 at 12:58, thodrik said:

Some folk would say 5-10 minutes. 

Myself, once I turn on my Trace V6 on I give it about 90 seconds or so before I hit standby. That is the case though if the amp is sitting in the same place and isn't being moved between use.

If the amp has been in transit and I had just taken the amp from a very cold environment (from a car in the middle of December to a venue), I would probably let the amp sit for 5-10 minutes before I would even turn the amp on at all. 

 

 

On 08/07/2019 at 16:52, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

As far as I'm concerned that article is a myth. My first amp was a '65 Fender Bassman that I bought new. In the US everyone who could afford them played Fender, everyone turned on both the power and the standby switches at the same time after setting up, and everyone used the standby switch for beer, or other substances, breaks. I also never heard a pop from using the switch, or saw a driver or power supply cap damaged as a result.

Quoted from a '60s Fender Concert Amp manual:

Standby Switch: This switch turns the amplifier on and off. In the Standby position the amplifier is off; however, the tube filaments are left on as to eliminate warm up time, provided that the main Power Switch is on. Use of this feature during short breaks versus using the Power Switch will increase tube life.

 

Gotta agree. If it's been cold and in transit, yeah, let it sit in the room for a bit to warm to room temperature before plugging in and turning on. I generally give around 30s as a minimum, on a gig I'll turn on and then I'll set up the pedals etc. I have heard of tubes blowing up from the sudden temp swing during extremely cold winters. 

The using standby vs. tube life depends on the amp, the last time I read about it. Some amps make no difference to tube life, some will. I can guarantee unless your amp is in standby mode for days on end you won't see or hear the difference made to the tube life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Similar Content

    • By big rob
      I must say the best 4x10 i have ever owned, also has a great tweeter.
      Only selling due to a very bad back, i now have 2 x RS210 cabinets as easier for me to move one at a time, that comes close but this cab really is the best i have played.
      Also comes with the padded TC cover.
      TC Blurb:
      Stackable 600 Watt bass cabinet with tweeter offers extreme portability and superior tone for stage and studio use ? Vertically stackable with other RS range cabinets for uncompromising full-frequency sound Compact and lightweight bass cabinet design 4 x 10" custom Eminence* drivers for deep fundamental bass tone 1" titanium diaphragm tweeter with 1.5" aluminum coil for increased percussive attack and definition Dual speaker link connections on premium Neutrik speakON* connectors (8 Ohm impedance) L-pad control lets you adjust to get the perfect amount of high-end detail Stylish ?anti-skid? covered plywood cabinet designed for toughest life on the road Designed and engineered in Denmark
       
       
    • By Merton
      Hello!
      Any owners of the glorious Ashdown CTM100 ever changed the output valves? I picked one up for a ridiculous price on eBay but one the power valves has gone and the other is running quite “hot” according to the built-in bias meter.
      I’ll probably send it to Ashdown for a complete health check but might do so with my choice of output valve... looking at the Genalex Golden Lion reissue probably.
      Any thoughts?
    • By bigjimmyc
      Hi. Surplus to requirements, gotta go. This is the 300w version. A little tatty but solid and sounds great. It is very compact (72cm tall x 49cm wide x 34cm deep, including feet). 
      Perfect for your LB or CTM-100!



    • By Joebethell
      The realisation has come that I'm not gigging and keeping this rig is not really the best option.
      Custom vertical blue tolex zilla 2x12 with BN12-300s speakers, It's a 4ohm 600watt cab that isn't to heavy to shift on your own.
      Has slight Mark's on the top from the rubber feet of the amp but great condition. 
      Also ABM 600 VI cracking head that hasn't got the use it deserves great sound loads of power and suits the cab well. 
      Any questions feel free to ask. 
      650 the pair will trade for small home use setup ctm30 or bareface 1x10 etc 
      Head sold 
      Cab still available £325ono 







×
×
  • Create New...