Why become a member? ×

What is this? need help identifying a bass!

Abjatar

That's an S. D. Curlee. It's probably (as they're more common) a licensed Hondo (probably Korean) version, but could be a US original, as they were aesthetically very close. I don't know them well enough to tell off the top of my head.

Either way, very cool and rare as hen's teeth!

image.thumb.png.aad09cf162e02c9e38a677d0cad3d459.png

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you look closely, it's a 3-part neck without a separate fretboard. So I think the board's correct but the body's a refin. Lots of pics on Google images, numerous variations including plain fretboards - but no solid colours.

Inclined to think after looking at a few pics that this is an original US Curlee, not a licensed version. Would be fascinated to see more pics.

3 hours ago, Bassassin said:

That's an S. D. Curlee. It's probably (as they're more common) a licensed Hondo (probably Korean) version, but could be a US original, as they were aesthetically very close. I don't know them well enough to tell off the top of my head.

Either way, very cool and rare as hen's teeth!

image.thumb.png.aad09cf162e02c9e38a677d0cad3d459.png

They used to have a bunch in a local music shop back in the day. Twin pickup actives (?). Quite expensive, I seem to recall. In fact I seem to remember a local bassist used to use one. Good player too.

Edited by 4000

Thanks for your input!!!

You're right, it seems to be a refinish which originally (probably) would have been matching with the headstock.

But I haven't found any without the logo. 

I will see if I can get some more pictures.

I suspect it's not a USA Curlee - I think the Curlee logo was kind of branded into the headstock and I can't see any trace of it in the pic.

So possibly an SD Curlee Intl. (international) - licensed replicas made in the Matsumoku factory in japan or more likely still an SD Curlee Design series made by Hondo.

As far as I know, all USA and Intl basses used DiMarzio pickups - if the bass you have has its original pickup, that would be a cream coloured DiMarzio Model P if it was a USA or Intl bass.

I love Curlees - mine is an Intl model that I've owned on and off since about 1980 and it's one of my favourite basses.

Birdsong Guitars in the States acquired the remains of SD Curlee USA and now build updated versions - you'll get the info on their site but here's a link to their Curlee history page. http://www.birdsongguitars.com/sd-curlee-info