Why become a member? ×

New nut in North of England? Where?

Chris2112

Morning all,

I had wanted to inquire with the knowledgeable sorts around here about who I shold entrust to fit a new nut to my 1994 Pedulla Pentabuzz. I have had it for nearly two years now and still enjoy regularly playing it. However, the nut is not original and I find it is perhaps a little shallow on the G string. The bass went to the Jaydee workshop before I bought it for inspection and setup and it has always played nicely, but I would prefer a better nut in there (there is some glue visible on the edge of the neck where the new nut was set in, I'm picky, I know!). Since the nut does not appear to the be original, I am not precious about changing it for something that is cleaner looking.

Ideally I would have sent the bass to the Sei workshop at The Gallery in Camden but that is just not practical as I don't really want to post it, if I can avoid it. I live in Northumberland, not all that far from Hexham and Newcastle Upon Tyne. The closest respectable workshops to me are probably Overwater in Carlisle and then ACG in Moffat. Does anyone have any other great ideas on this?

I typically prefer brass nuts but I'm not yet sure what I'd spec on the Pedulla - maybe black graphite on this particular bass. I'm no wizard on setup and the bass plays very cleanly with a really low action which suits me just fine but I could just fancy a little more depth on the nut at the G string. The slot that has been cut there is barely more than a scratch on the surface of the nut!

I look forward to your replies and advice.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://i.imgur.com/QoBUzcN.jpg&key=10a83fdec6ba1b4a317b882a8e792f27c5bb5f0b7b891a81983127cf0cd7afb9

https://www.talkbass.com/attachments/ydgcxjy-jpg.3179970/

Spoiler

I hadn't wanted to raise the spectre of Howard in this thread - nothing personal but I am aware of some of the issues others have had with his work over recent years. I had discounted his services for that reason which is why I was thinking of going slightly further afield. 

9 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I hadn't wanted to raise the spectre of Howard in this thread - nothing personal but I am aware of some of the issues others have had with his work over recent years. I had discounted his services for that reason which is why I was thinking of going slightly further afield. 

Looked after my basses for 25+ years and never an issue. Obviously your call mate

Well, dont I feel like a fool now. I had a closer look at the nut as I wanted to photograph what I thought was this 'glue' on the nut only to find out on closer inspection that it was actually the original nut with a slight discolouration from years of use because it's made of bone. 

A new set of strings this evening (Spector nickels) has knocked my socks off. This has always been a favourite fretless of mine but I don't think it has ever sounded better than it does this evening. Played through my PJB Bighead it sounds unbelievably even and massive. I usually prefer a thinner, more honky 'Jaco' type fretless tone and I only ever use the bridge pickup but the Pedulla just sounds 'huge'. Impossible fundamental and a very 'flat' tonal response. I think it's the NT construction and the solid maple wings that do that. 

I'm in a peculiar situation at the moment where every bass I pick up feels like my favourite and I really hope it lasts. 

Anyway, I'll cancel my search for now and make a mental note that Overwater are probably my best bet for future work.