Why become a member? ×

Synthy Fuzz Recommendations Please

PatrickJ

Since becoming bandless  I've been really interested in a lot of old Jamoriquai. I'm interested in a synthy fuzz to play songs like Deeper Underground and Feels Just Like It Should.

Any recommendations, I don't have a lot of room on my board so something no bigger than an MXR sized pedal and I'd like a dry single blend feature too.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Zvex Mastotron? (There's one in the FS at the moment on at a very fair price).

Also worth checking out this thread, which seems to cover similar territory:

Cheers Bas, will look over that thread

• 3 months later...

I've actually off loaded my Mastotron since my earlier post on this thread and have taken quite a shine to the Tech 21 Red Ripper pedal, although it's out of production and doesn't seem to come up used that often. It really does provide versatile sonic options, though!

For what the OP has stipulated the your Doom is the only thing I can think off. Mastatron would be ideal but no clean blend (add an LS2 and voila clean blend)

The diabolik as Danny mentioned,or if you can find one I believe the subdecay flying Tomato is a synthy fuzz (I could be wrong)

Red ripper 

Prunes & Custard

Mxr blowtorch

Emma Octo Njos (with added octaver)

All synthy but large!!

Is the OP still looking!! 😂

Edited by lee650

On 25/10/2019 at 18:59, lee650 said:

Is the OP still looking!! 😂

Yes, still looking. 

In fact I've decided that I hate all Bass overdrives and I'm going to move on my VMT Deluxe which will free up more space on the pedal board so a larger stomp box would be fine.

6 hours ago, Higgie said:

Prunes and Custard for sure. Or Iron Ether Oxide is pretty synthy!

I forgot about the oxide and I owned one too😂 yes very synthy but also insane! It sounds amazing but I couldn't get it to work in my setup.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the Doom and this new Doom 2 a bit anaemic?

Definitely prefer the Mastotron or even better the Red Ripper to this, and the Mastotron is half the price.

But at the end of the day it's you're / your choice 😉

@PJ-Bassist why the angst with drive pedals?

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@PJ-Bassist why the angst with drive pedals?

Haha, they always sound great for other people but absolute crap for me.  Been through tons of them (B3K, VMT, Tight Drive, MXR Bass Overdrive) and not found one I get on with unless I'm using it for a bit of subtle grit (for which the B3K was actually the best). 

3 hours ago, ordep said:

Thanks, I used to have the V1 years ago, didn't ever use it but will check out the V2. 

The pedal I really want to check out is the C4 Synth by source Audio.