Why become a member? ×

String gauges and how they can affect playing style and tone

Punkviking

4 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I'm guessing the OP uses a pick, coming from a guitar background. Simple solution is to use a heavier pick. 

I use standard gauge 45-105 strings, with 1.14 gauge pick (purple Dunlop) and like a heavy sound.

The short scale will give a deeper tone than full scale, so really heavy gauge strings makes things more flabby.

I use both fingers and picks but prefer to use my fingers as I like to play octaves

25 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Cool. In that case have you tried playing with your thumb instead of your fingers? Will give a much heavier and meaty tone!

I have indeed, I like to use my thumb on the lowE and a finger or two on the others (like a dordey pinch if you know what that is) it helps maintain a heavy tone but gives the higher notes a pop

• Like 1

I’ve mostly been 40-100 gauge over past 40yrs with variations tried just out of curiosity. When I bought my Thumb bass new in 89  it came with Elites 35-95 and I stuck with them for many yes until in a heavy rock band I went back to 40-100 again to get that heavier sound. I find the 35’s easier to play but prefer overall tone and balance across the strings with 40-100’s. heavier strings feel too tight for me and I always go back to light or extra light strings depending on company you buy from

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody's still watching this post I changed the strings to some Ernie Ball 2852 Short Scale Nickel Wound Regular Slinky Bass Strings - 45-105 and it's done the trick, great tone and a good range, thanks everyone!

I also changed to using a thumb pic so I have a better range of picing styles and that's also helped!

Edited by Punkviking
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Interesting reading back through this thread. I’ve always used 100s, going back to when I started playing, and have been happy with them.

I recently bought a new bass that came factory strung with 105s and is set up accordingly. My intention was to get it set up for 100s, but I’m going to stick with 105s as I’m enjoying the higher tension, especially on the Drop D songs my band plays. Nice to discover something new.

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Am I the only one who plays  45, 65, 80, 100 (125 on a fiver) ? (Standard tuning, btw)

I personally favour a heavier G&D string as I find 40 and 60 a bit "twangy", but that's personal preference for you...

You clearly haven't read the early posts in this thread. 🤔

Edited by hooky_lowdown

I currently have 40 60 75 95 gauge strings on my Tokai LP bass and setup with a pretty low string action. I like to play classic and heavy rock stuff. The gauge and setup allows for a lighter touch to be used,  therefore allows for more speed when needed.... and it sounds huge! 🤪