Why become a member? ×

What bass gear isn't currently available but would probably sell well?

How about a readily available short scale Precision, Jazz or P/J with traditional-ish body shape? I know there have been a few different models over the years like the Fender modern player short scale, and that Polish company that begins with M (that I can't spell or even pronounce) make some but they're very thin on the ground. There's very little choice in the £1000~ish short scale category other than a couple of variations of the Mustang so I think if someone was to fill that gap with a regular production traditional styled model they would sell loads. 

Roger must have his reasons, but I’m quite surprised that Sadowsky don’t do 6 string basses, not even as a full-on custom build. I’m not interested in a sixer but I’m sure they’d sell pretty well.

A new Trace Elliot class D of at least 500w with a valve pre. 

Bass cabs that are 8/4 ohm switchable.

All active basses legally obliged to have easy access battery compartments a la Stingray.

Edited by ianrendall

18 hours ago, Osiris said:

How about a readily available short scale Precision, Jazz or P/J with traditional-ish body shape? I know there have been a few different models over the years like the Fender modern player short scale, and that Polish company that begins with M (that I can't spell or even pronounce) make some but they're very thin on the ground. There's very little choice in the £1000~ish short scale category other than a couple of variations of the Mustang so I think if someone was to fill that gap with a regular production traditional styled model they would sell loads. 

The Jaguar SS comes close.

57 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The Jaguar SS comes close.

I do keep looking at those especially now it looks like they're remaking the silver version which looks great, IMO, it makes a change from the endless procession of dreary turdburst finishes :lol:. Trouble is I'm a fat, bald middle aged man so I think it's look utterly ridiculous on me. 

On 10/07/2019 at 13:44, LeftyJ said:

It is a long scale, and that's exactly how it was intended! It didn't sell (only around 200), and the remaining unused bodies in the factory were remodelled into a small batch of Fender Swinger guitars in 1969:

swinger-daphne-800x255.jpg

One of those as a bass...

39 minutes ago, itu said:

Why is this important? To be able to play 1 - 2 dB louder, maybe?

So you can leave one cab at home for smaller gigs, and still be able to use the amplifier's full capacity, I recon. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Osiris said:

I do keep looking at those especially now it looks like they're remaking the silver version which looks great, IMO, it makes a change from the endless procession of dreary turdburst finishes :lol:. Trouble is I'm a fat, bald middle aged man so I think it's look utterly ridiculous on me. 

Nah, I'm 6'2" but it's still bigger than a guitar.

Does Leslie West worry about looking silly playing a little six-string? - Possibly...

image.png.1ef9008c02ca6570901614912f989026.png

Every time fender come out with a new range or a reissue of a 1992 reissue of a 1982 reissue of a 1974 reissue of a 1968 reissue of a 1954 reissue of a P bass, you hear 'why doesn't fender come up with anything original'.

The answer is this thread.

"What is the one thing you would really like in a bass" -  'oh I will have a P bass in a slightly different colour please' :D

And its probably right, that is the only thing that would sell.

On 11/07/2019 at 15:49, ianrendall said:

Bass cabs that are 8/4 ohm switchable.

That's easy, just have two 8 ohm speakers in a cab wired in parallel and a switch which takes one of them out of circuit. Utterly pointless, but there you are.

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Every time fender come out with a new range or a reissue of a 1992 reissue of a 1982 reissue of a 1974 reissue of a 1968 reissue of a 1954 reissue of a P bass, you hear 'why doesn't fender come up with anything original'.

The answer is this thread.

"What is the one thing you would really like in a bass" -  'oh I will have a P bass in a slightly different colour please' :D

And its probably right, that is the only thing that would sell.

But it also has to be a Fender, it can't be any of the thousands of clone makers.

And another thing that might or might not sell...

A MIDI pedalboard using a similar sort of lever key as the Roland PK5 but with the chord-programming capability of the McMillen 12-Step. Should weigh 2-4 kg.

And something that I wish hadn't disappeared - Johnny Shedfreak's effects pedal mounting brackets:

Effects pedal mounting kit

The Pedal-Links ones are rubbish - plastic so they won't bend.

On 08/07/2019 at 22:13, GuyR said:

A Fender jazz bass, with offset body and narrow nut, but in the style of, and with the same appointments as, a 51 style first generation precision bass - tele style headstock, one piece maple neck, Bakelite parts, slab body and blonde finish. Not sure how popular it would be, but I guarantee they would sell at least 1.

78A5923C-FA93-4593-B6EB-1ED1A233EA0E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...