Why become a member? ×

What bass gear isn't currently available but would probably sell well?

2 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Some materials will react with a laquer finish - I have a guitar stand with foam rests which reacted with a rattlecan finish I put on a bass - the affected areas weren't pretty.

I've had that problem on the stands and I'm aware of the amazing Rickenbacker finishes that reacted with the linings of their own cases but I'm amazed that any case sold for storing/carrying a guitar would have a caveat on guitars with a lacquer finish (unless they were being specific on Nitro or somesuch).  What are they supposed to be finished in - nearly all guitars have a surface coating of some description?  Ignore me - just talking to meself.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

D'Addario EXL160BT's in steel, rather than nickel-wound only. Still unable to fathom why they do them in one and not the other.

That makes two. Okay, someone call D'Addario and get them to make it happen!

• Thanks 1

A proper Sting signatures 50s precision, roadworn like his with contours not slab body, but without the stupid block inlay signature. Make that in Mexico for about a grand Fender and you have sold one straight away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

They just told me to make up my own set from individual strings. Not really a viable alternative given that would cost around twice the price of the nickel set.

Yes. Also there is no 67 gauge single equivalent so you can’t really get the same exact set.

If D’Addario ever discontinued the 120-50 balanced tension then I will be very annoyed. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2019 at 19:21, Delberthot said:

I'm pretty sure a Fender Bass V would sell like hot cakes if they made them again.

I've said this before but various people here scoffed at the idea, scoffed I tell you. Bollocks to them.

FenderBassV.jpg

Bass V: An instrument of surpassing offset loveliness, ymmv.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, martthebass said:

I'm waiting for the Jazz Bass 'Helium' model too.  Shoulder probs have made me press the Dano into action for this weekend's gig.  See you Friday Pete.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder Mart - still, with the Dano poised for action, every cloud?!!

Catch you on Friday, cheers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

I've said this before but various people here scoffed at the idea, scoffed I tell you. Bollocks to them.

FenderBassV.jpg

Bass V: An instrument of surpassing offset loveliness, ymmv.

That's an oddity, is it short scale? I can see the logic of only having 15 frets with a high C string, if that's how this is intended.

Not bass gear...unless you use a wedge as a monitor, but a great idea anyway, how about stage monitor wedges, that when you clip two together they make a box to stop them falling all over the place in the van and to save space, you could even make them stackable  and get 4 of them in a nice neat box, it cant be hard can it ? would surly sell like jaffa cakes.

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

That's an oddity, is it short scale? I can see the logic of only having 15 frets with a high C string, if that's how this is intended.

It is a long scale, and that's exactly how it was intended! It didn't sell (only around 200), and the remaining unused bodies in the factory were remodelled into a small batch of Fender Swinger guitars in 1969:

swinger-daphne-800x255.jpg

4 hours ago, funkgod said:

Not bass gear...unless you use a wedge as a monitor, but a great idea anyway, how about stage monitor wedges, that when you clip two together they make a box to stop them falling all over the place in the van and to save space, you could even make them stackable  and get 4 of them in a nice neat box, it cant be hard can it ? would surly sell like jaffa cakes.

Peavey beat you to it in the late 70's with the 'Mini-monitors' !

Peavey mini monitors.jpg

Peavey m-monitors.png

A reasonably priced pedal with 3 or 4 band eq, clean blend, output level, a drive/distortion that goes from light drive to heavy distortion and a built in tuner.

Why oh why do most pedals only have 2 band eq when everyone knows the mids are crucial!

• Like 1

A reissue of the preamp section of the Ashdown Superfly, or even the whole amp if they sorted out the power section and gave it 750 watts or so.

I'm surprised, with the numbers of people wanting slight variations on the Fender theme, that none of the Fender clones fulfil the requirements. In fact, it's quite surprising that Fender manage to miss so many targets when they have several hundred slight variations on three themes.

On 07/07/2019 at 13:19, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Maybe if fender made their mustang bass cases with silver tolex like the 60s ones I'd feel happier about spending £170 on one.

As far as I know no one makes a shortscale bass hard case to fit a mustang bass that costs less than £170, and mustang cases never seem to be available secondhand.

The first company to offer a decent hard case to fit a mustang/musicmaster/bronco bass for under £100 would get my money.

I ended up making my own hard case for my Jaguar SS.

16 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Bass head with a ‘line in’  (PA feed for example) that would blend with the bass signal and then broadcast to IEMs, either plugged or wireless.

This would be cool.  There's a couple I've seen that on the face of it might have it - Warwick LWA 1000, Phil Jones BP-800 - but I'm unsure if the aux signal is routed through to the speaker and DI outputs - in which case it wouldn't be that useful.

Ampeg Micro-VR has it:

AUDIO IN: The audio output from linelevel
sources such as an iPod®, MP3,
or CD player, can connect to this 1/8"
TRS stereo input. The incoming audio is
mixed with the preamp signals, so you
can play along to a practice track, as
you listen with headphones. (The audio
coming in here only plays in the headphones,
and appears nowhere else.)