Why become a member? ×

What bass gear isn't currently available but would probably sell well?

Given that Fender used to make the Ashbory bass, and have not ventured into the u-bass-type-thing market, A range of solid-bodied uke basses, fretted, similar to the kala sub range, but using scaled down versions of the classic Fender body & headstock shapes would be cute as a button and totally awesome. They could call it the 'Fender Pocket Precision bass' & 'Pocket Jazz bass'

17 hours ago, Cato said:

I've been hankering after a 51 style P for years.

I've never actually played one, I'm certain it would be considerably less versatile than any of my current  basses, but every time Fender announces a new range it's the first thing I look for.

It's a certainty they'll release a version at some point, it's just a matter of how long it will take.

All this love for the 51 on here but I had to sell mine outside the forum at a knockdown price.... sign of the times..

Haven't bothered browsing through the whole thread, but since there were several Mustang-related requests, I thought of my own. I'd like to see a lefty Mustang again (the original lefties are rare as hen's teeth and expensive as hell), and I'd love Fender to replace the Mustang PJ with a model that incorporates a regular Mustang split-coil and a '51 P singlecoil with a closed cover in the bridge position for big tone and looks that stay more true to the original design.

People are lazy.  Whilst I see the value in a valve pre and a class D power stage amp.  We've got used to class D anyway so why bother?

On the bass front, folk want a 34" scale lightweight 7.5 lb bass with P, PJ or JJ configuration and a slim neck (back to front) and probably a slimmer body to get the weight down. It could be 7/8 the size of a standard body.  Make it one place only.  Take it or leave it.  Make it cheap, eg basswood but don't skimp on the quality of the PUs or the neck.  Oh and some lightweight tuners, please.

That's my suggestion.

Peace

Davo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davo-London said:

On the bass front, folk want a 34" scale lightweight 7.5 lb bass with P, PJ or JJ configuration and a slim neck (back to front) and probably a slimmer body to get the weight down. It could be 7/8 the size of a standard body.  Make it one place only.  Take it or leave it.  Make it cheap, eg basswood but don't skimp on the quality of the PUs or the neck.  Oh and some lightweight tuners, please.

Pretty much my Precision Lyte to a tee....😄

What haven’t I been able to source that I’d buy in an instant - a Tech21 preamp/DI multi pedal with tuner on it that runs on good old fashioned batteries.

For overseas/flying gigs their Fly-Rig and dUG would be ideal for space saving but they have to run via power supply so you’d have to take a power lead, extension lead and foreign plug adaptor. 

So just as much gear as my tuner and Para Driver, making it no easier at all.

A Fender jazz bass, with offset body and narrow nut, but in the style of, and with the same appointments as, a 51 style first generation precision bass - tele style headstock, one piece maple neck, Bakelite parts, slab body and blonde finish. Not sure how popular it would be, but I guarantee they would sell at least 1.

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 07:49, JimBobTTD said:

A jobbie that makes the output volume completely level, so when you stomp on various boxes, your level does not drastically change.

Wounded Paw blenders... I've got the V4. Just stick the fx on different loops and stomp on the loop switch as and when needed.

https://www.woundedpawaudio.ca/fx/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=c58mtefd605j4k22l4ntkv9o93

• Thanks 1

Fender has all the parts and possibilities to make the neck attachment standard. Then anyone could choose whichever neck and attach it to a whichever body.

Jaguar body, matching color rosewood P neck, no dots, baby blue color, JJ, light weight woods and tuners, decent bridge, just a sec, will be delivered within the next month to your door, please move forward.

Steve W. Rabe did Mo'Bass and MiniMo and Interstellar Overdrive. Would love to get one...

Edited by itu
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Davo-London said:

People are lazy.  Whilst I see the value in a valve pre and a class D power stage amp.  We've got used to class D anyway so why bother?

That's my suggestion.

Peace

Davo

That's a Sandberg TT Superlight. And they are under 7 lb! (mine is 6.8 lb)

Also available as TM (J and MM)

and a P or PJ - as special orders.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:19, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Maybe if fender made their mustang bass cases with silver tolex like the 60s ones I'd feel happier about spending £170 on one.

As far as I know no one makes a shortscale bass hard case to fit a mustang bass that costs less than £170, and mustang cases never seem to be available secondhand.

The first company to offer a decent hard case to fit a mustang/musicmaster/bronco bass for under £100 would get my money.

The Gator EXL - extra long guitar case (just) fits.  That's what I use with my Mustangs. About £70-75

Edited by martthebass

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:09, casapete said:

Absolutely. My dilemma is wanting something traditional Fender style, 7 lbs max, P or PJ pickups / passive and not a massive neck. Been using Precision Lyte basses a long time now, and find the neck and weight ideal, although would prefer not having active circuit. Am considering fitting new passive pickups, maybe S.Duncans or similar.

I'm waiting for the Jazz Bass 'Helium' model too.  Shoulder probs have made me press the Dano into action for this weekend's gig.  See you Friday Pete.

15 minutes ago, martthebass said:

The Gator EXL - extra long guitar case (just) fits.  That's what I use with my Mustangs. About £70-75 

Cheers - I looked at that one but I was put off by the  description that warned that it wasn't suitable for instruments with a lacquer finish (like the JMJ mustang)

Also it looks like it would be a very tight squeeze, I'd be worried that a knock to either end would transmit the force right through the bass rather than the case absorbing the shock.

8 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Cheers - I looked at that one but I was put off by the  description that warned that it wasn't suitable for instruments with a lacquer finish (like the JMJ mustang)

Also it looks like it would be a very tight squeeze, I'd be worried that a knock to either end would transmit the force right through the bass rather than the case absorbing the shock.

You could be right JLP, I haven't had a problem with mine but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it.  To be fair though mine is used more for transport in the van which isn't often - I usually use gig bags when using my own transport.  Not sure what the issue with lacquer could be though?

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Never going to happen at that price!

Unfortunately not, it's just that was one of the criteria from Pete's wish list. 

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The 'Bergs are cheaper than US Fenders anyway so I wouldn't call them expensive.

Preaching to the choir fella, check out my profile pic, big berg fan here. They're definitely not expensive for the quality and are imo a better instrument than US Fenders, but even 2nd hand you're lucky to get one for less than £700.