Why become a member? ×

What bass gear isn't currently available but would probably sell well?

Maybe if fender made their mustang bass cases with silver tolex like the 60s ones I'd feel happier about spending £170 on one.

As far as I know no one makes a shortscale bass hard case to fit a mustang bass that costs less than £170, and mustang cases never seem to be available secondhand.

The first company to offer a decent hard case to fit a mustang/musicmaster/bronco bass for under £100 would get my money.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Right, yeah you're spot on. I'm a bit old school so would like a non deluxe passive version. Happy with PJ though 

With you on that brother. When first introduced, they were passive but soon morphed into the active model for some reason. Still see the odd one come up s/h occasionally, looks like I may be racing you for one when they do. 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

With you on that brother. When first introduced, they were passive but soon morphed into the active model for some reason. Still see the odd one come up s/h occasionally, looks like I may be racing you for one when they do. 😄

Haha I'm currently on a gas break so be my guest 😁

I genuinely don't know why Fender don't have a range of P's with Jazz necks though. I see a lot of the custom basses (limelight etc.) being spec'd that way, seems there'd be a market for it.

1 minute ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Haha I'm currently on a gas break so be my guest 😁

I genuinely don't know why Fender don't have a range of P's with Jazz necks though. I see a lot of the custom basses (limelight etc.) being spec'd that way, seems there'd be a market for it.

Absolutely. My dilemma is wanting something traditional Fender style, 7 lbs max, P or PJ pickups / passive and not a massive neck. Been using Precision Lyte basses a long time now, and find the neck and weight ideal, although would prefer not having active circuit. Am considering fitting new passive pickups, maybe S.Duncans or similar.

Exactly! I came across a Jazz which a previous owner had put a P pickup in already (I also swopped the control plate to 60s stack knobs) which sound great, but I just prefer the Precision body.

Tbh, it's a bit too heavy (knackered back) so it'll probably end up for sale before long and I'll finally commission the custom build I've always wanted 😁

7 minutes ago, casapete said:

Absolutely. My dilemma is wanting something traditional Fender style, 7 lbs max, P or PJ pickups / passive and not a massive neck. Been using Precision Lyte basses a long time now, and find the neck and weight ideal, although would prefer not having active circuit. Am considering fitting new passive pickups, maybe S.Duncans or similar.

*ahem*

Allow me to direct you to this beast which I’ve been eyeing up. Crazy light and tone to die for: https://bassfreaks.net/collections/current-stock-coll/products/maruszczyk-instruments-jake-l4p-vintage-white

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, casapete said:

Just the slight problem of funds right now....🙁

That is a bummer. I was gonna suggest a nice green metallic Maruszczyk PJ for sale at The Gallery.. super light and plays beautifully...but it’s on for £900 which isn’t much better than the one I linked above. :sorry:

I think that a Gibson Grabber would be popular. Far more versatile than the SG bass currently on the market (and I own an EB3

Also, a official licensed Korean/Japan made budget  Rickenbacker 4001. Not going to happen though!

A Trace Elliot GP12 SMX preamp with a class D power section would see a proper return to Trace Elliot’s roots, rather than a Peavey mini amp painted green. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That is a bummer. I was gonna suggest a nice green metallic Maruszczyk PJ for sale at The Gallery.. super light and plays beautifully...but it’s on for £900 which isn’t much better than the one I linked above. :sorry:

Yeah, that’s a belter too. 😐

2 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I wish Fender would do a 1951 reissue Precision again. I've owned 3 and it's the only bass I regret selling. Don't know how well they sell but it's long overdue a reissue.

I've been hankering after a 51 style P for years.

I've never actually played one, I'm certain it would be considerably less versatile than any of my current  basses, but every time Fender announces a new range it's the first thing I look for.

It's a certainty they'll release a version at some point, it's just a matter of how long it will take.

I would love to see a bass with no tone or volume controls, just a quality bridge, and a good pickup wired straight to a jack socket..... Would it sell? who knows, I would buy one though 'cos tone and volume controls get on my moobs in all honesty (even though I end up faffing about with the electrics sometimes!) ... everything generally just gets put to "10" on my basses regardless.

🤪

And another thing !

Everlasting bass strings. Piano-like sustain and chime forever! Will still sound as good as the first day they were removed from the packet.. in 5000 years time! … I would be happy to fit those to my bass with no volume and tone controls.

... maybe not the best idea for a business though. 

😎

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I wish Fender would do a 1951 reissue Precision again. I've owned 3 and it's the only bass I regret selling. Don't know how well they sell but it's long overdue a reissue.

Yeah a blonde avri 51 and Sunburst 56 would do.

• Thanks 1

This probably doesn't count, but I suspect that there might be a few people who'd like to buy a standard Fender/Squier Jazz/Precision with an unlined fretless board. I'd have bought one years ago and put and end to GAS before I wasted too much money.

• Like 1