Jump to content
mcnach

Best way to reglue/hold peeling vinyl covering on BAREFACED cabs?

Recommended Posts

I've had two Two10 cabs for around 3 years one, 2.5 the other. 

The covering on the newest one (May 2017) has started to peel away over the past few months. The other one (September 2016) seems to be slowly starting.

 

What's the best/easiest way to fix this?

I'm leaning towards getting a roll of black duct tape and tape the seams around the back and be done. Not the prettiest, but it can be done reasonably well and I know it *will* stay in place.

Glue is ok, but it seems like it would be a faff considering the gap is narrow at the moment so I'll have to deal with a lot of spill over cleaning afterwards, and it would presumably need doing all around the seams, even the ones that at the moment look ok, as it's surely just a matter of time.

I don't live anywhere near Barefaced HQ so I'm not going to drive to them with my cabs or post them (and I use them regularly, although it could be a good excuse to bring out my lovely TKS again)...

Any other suggestions better than using black duct tape? 

IMG_20190622_152015111.jpg?dl=1

 

IMG_20190622_152006039.jpg?dl=1

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When this happened to my <2-year-old FENDER guitar combo, I used Evostik. Seems OK so far... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Alex will suggest a suitable glue, then you could use a toothpick to apply the tiniest drops to it, then wipe down quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Use masking tape to tape off one of the edges. Mix epoxy and using a fine syringe, apply the expoxy under the unmasked edge. Push down on to the cab. Any epoxy that spills goes onto masked edge. Remove masking tape on the unglued edge. Do the same in reverse for the other edge. Tada, all glued and that tolex won't be coming off again in a hurry*

*This is a time consuming ballache of a job though but will put the problem to bed.

 

Also, what is Alex's fascination with silver screws on black hardware?

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My One10s look like that.

 

But I have to say - having owned no end of cabs over 30 years - I don't care.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does mine. And I do care. I have a 14 year old Wizzy that shows no such degradation.    Alex?!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My One10 is the same. I will eventually get round to sorting it. The masking tape is a good tip.

Edited by grandad
Accurate content.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Alex must have seen my comments here or on the other thread, found my email based on the serial number, and wrote to me.

I didn't want to get glueing because it looks to me like it'll be complicated to remove the excess glue afterwards. However, he says their water-based glue (the one that does seem to work) can be wiped off with a cloth and warm water after the tolex is glued back together. It looks like you need to warm it up, paint it, press both parts together and wait till it cools down. 

I think I'll have a go. The description sounded like even someone like me (hate DIY) could manage it.

Nice touch that Alex found me even if I had not tried to reach him. 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy resolution. BC wins again. Glad it's going to be sorted. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used Copydex glue for tolex in my own builds and have never had a problem.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Well, Alex must have seen my comments here or on the other thread, found my email based on the serial number, and wrote to me.

I didn't want to get glueing because it looks to me like it'll be complicated to remove the excess glue afterwards. However, he says their water-based glue (the one that does seem to work) can be wiped off with a cloth and warm water after the tolex is glued back together. It looks like you need to warm it up, paint it, press both parts together and wait till it cools down. 

I think I'll have a go. The description sounded like even someone like me (hate DIY) could manage it.

Nice touch that Alex found me even if I had not tried to reach him. 

 

Where do you get the glue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JohnA said:

Where do you get the glue?

 

I'm getting a repair sample from him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Use masking tape to tape off one of the edges. Mix epoxy and using a fine syringe, apply the expoxy under the unmasked edge. Push down on to the cab. Any epoxy that spills goes onto masked edge. Remove masking tape on the unglued edge. Do the same in reverse for the other edge. Tada, all glued and that tolex won't be coming off again in a hurry*

*This is a time consuming ballache of a job though but will put the problem to bed.

 

Also, what is Alex's fascination with silver screws on black hardware?

 

That's a handy tip, using masking tape like that. So obvious now that you mentioned it, but I would not have thought of it... Like I said, not very DIY minded, myself :D

Thank you! I don't think I'll need it this time, but it's bound to come handy in the future for something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got this on my BF One10 as well. But I’ve been so busy using it I haven’t got around to fixing it yet. Lol. Alex sent a free repair kit and instructions, absolutely great customer service, I just need to knuckle down to sorting it out. 

Pete

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/07/2019 at 17:35, mcnach said:

Well, Alex must have seen my comments here or on the other thread, found my email based on the serial number, and wrote to me.

I didn't want to get glueing because it looks to me like it'll be complicated to remove the excess glue afterwards. However, he says their water-based glue (the one that does seem to work) can be wiped off with a cloth and warm water after the tolex is glued back together. It looks like you need to warm it up, paint it, press both parts together and wait till it cools down. 

I think I'll have a go. The description sounded like even someone like me (hate DIY) could manage it.

Nice touch that Alex found me even if I had not tried to reach him. 

 

He’s a good guy I think. Seems to attract a band of haters on basschat when he posts but good to see that he keeps his eye on it here :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the grief that Alex got from (some) Basschatters when his initial cabs came with a rough hard-coated finish and not in 'proper' vinyl, I'm struggling to keep a straight face as I read all this. 9_9

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While you're at it, McNach, have you tightened the handle and the feet?

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/07/2019 at 19:20, Kirky said:

I've used Copydex glue for tolex in my own builds and have never had a problem.

Ah Copydex - is that still around?! Excellent - must get me some! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been thinking about this too, as my One10 and Two10 have both reached the stage where they're really too bad to leave any longer.  IMO even if you decide to tape the join, you're better off re-fixing the loose Tolex first.  Instead of gluing, I'm considering using my staple gun across the join and then taping on top; or getting some thin/narrow but stiff black plastic strip and stapling through that.  Might look a bit naff tho with the bright staples showing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

I've been thinking about this too, as my One10 and Two10 have both reached the stage where they're really too bad to leave any longer.  IMO even if you decide to tape the join, you're better off re-fixing the loose Tolex first.  Instead of gluing, I'm considering using my staple gun across the join and then taping on top; or getting some thin/narrow but stiff black plastic strip and stapling through that.  Might look a bit naff tho with the bright staples showing.

Can you get black staples? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Can you get black staples? 

Don't believe so, as the hammer action of the gun would probably take the finish off - I'll Google it though 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scrumpymike said:

Don't believe so, as the hammer action of the gun would probably take the finish off - I'll Google it though 👍

These?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scrumpymike said:

Don't believe so, as the hammer action of the gun would probably take the finish off - I'll Google it though 👍

Only available in boxes of 20,000 apparently 😲 but I'll look some more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scrumpymike said:

Only available in boxes of 20,000 apparently 😲 but I'll look some more.

Split that over all Barefaced cab owners and we'll be good 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...