Why become a member? ×

Best way to reglue/hold peeling vinyl covering on BAREFACED cabs?

mcnach

1 minute ago, Merton said:

Oh dear. This way trouble lies

Btw - have you posted a pic of your 'saucy blonde ACG' somewhere? Sounds fantastic.

Speaking of trouble, tbf - I totally get why your missus would be kicking up a fuss if you have just started something with a saucy blonde 😂

40 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Btw - have you posted a pic of your 'saucy blonde ACG' somewhere? Sounds fantastic.

Speaking of trouble, tbf - I totally get why your missus would be kicking up a fuss if you have just started something with a saucy blonde 😂

Yep there’s a build thread here: 

And of course, if it had been the other sort of saucy blonde then yes, much trouble!

Very nice! 3 commissioned basses in one year? Next time you tell me that you don't have funds to buy my BF SC:

a) I'll know exactly why! 

b) you'll find me totally sympathetic to your missus, and

c) I will thank you, as holding on to that 21 lb cab was a really good thing to do! 

My BF SC does not have any tolex issues... 

... aaand we're seamlessly back on topic! 😂 

• Haha 1

On 12/07/2019 at 12:44, scrumpymike said:

Just in the interests of fairness, let's not rule out the possibility that his amp was running too hot.  Had a fan malfunction on one of mine a while back and couldn't believe how hot it got in the half hour before I noticed.

Did it melt the tolex so the rubber feet were stuck to the top?

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

I don't understand why this is so hard to achieve? A bit of carpet spray and that tolex will be going nowehere.

I’ll perhaps try that next. But I’m not sure if it will work. The edge of the sticking out tolex is quite stiff, and I suspect the tolex itself has shrunk/changed somehow. This may be why the kit I got from BF didn’t quite have the expected result. 

I’m interested to try an iron at a low setting with a tea towel covering it on the tolex. I suspect heat may reform it to a better shape, as well as allowing me to manipulate the glue again. 

15 minutes ago, funkle said:

I’ll perhaps try that next. But I’m not sure if it will work. The edge of the sticking out tolex is quite stiff, and I suspect the tolex itself has shrunk/changed somehow. This may be why the kit I got from BF didn’t quite have the expected result. 

I’m interested to try an iron at a low setting with a tea towel covering it on the tolex. I suspect heat may reform it to a better shape, as well as allowing me to manipulate the glue again. 

Be very careful, I managed to screw up badly trying to re-glue a seam on a carpet covered cab doing just that!

Melted ratfur is not a good look...

51 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Be very careful, I managed to screw up badly trying to re-glue a seam on a carpet covered cab doing just that!

Melted ratfur is not a good look...

I hear you on that. Going to maybe try the very lowest settings and make sure the tea towel is good and wet...hopefully low risk stuff...

2 hours ago, funkle said:

I was referring to the manufacture, rather than the fix.

Me being me, I'd probably rip the whole thing off and go again from scratch. If the thing is peeling already, shouldnt be too difficult to rip it off and sand it all to prep for a new tolex cover.

50 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I was referring to the manufacture, rather than the fix.

Me being me, I'd probably rip the whole thing off and go again from scratch. If the thing is peeling already, shouldnt be too difficult to rip it off and sand it all to prep for a new tolex cover.

Gotcha now

That’s way too much work for me. I don’t have time to do that. And paying someone else to do it is probably not economical. So...I’ll try little fixes for now. 

• Like 1