Why become a member? ×

Best way to reglue/hold peeling vinyl covering on BAREFACED cabs?

mcnach

5 hours ago, funkle said:

That sounds pretty incredible. What amp was he using, and where was the gig?

MarkBass MultiAmp,

I checked back and what happened was that he simply left the amp on top of the cab for a longish period of time. 

The feet of the amp somehow ‘melted’ into the Tolex and the tolex started to lift away when he tried to remove the amp!

The MultiAmp isn’t at all heavy and, in my personal experience, doesn’t generate much heat. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, molan said:

MarkBass MultiAmp,

I checked back and what happened was that he simply left the amp on top of the cab for a longish period of time. 

The feet of the amp somehow ‘melted’ into the Tolex and the tolex started to lift away when he tried to remove the amp!

The MultiAmp isn’t at all heavy and, in my personal experience, doesn’t generate much heat. 

Just in the interests of fairness, let's not rule out the possibility that his amp was running too hot.  Had a fan malfunction on one of mine a while back and couldn't believe how hot it got in the half hour before I noticed.

I mentioned this on another thread, the chaps at Barefaced have recently changed their glue AND their tolex to a different brand. The original glue we can all agree was shite and after a few years they came to the same conclusion about the tolex. When left in warm environments the old tolex would shrink, and coupled with the crap glue caused the problems people encountered. The glue changed but the tolex didn’t so there were still “smaller” issues as seen with @funkle and @mcnach. They’ve now changed the glue again, and also the tolex, so as to mitigate the shrinking issues and the glue failures. This new tolex is easier to work apparently and therefore if any peeling occurs with this then it will be significantly easier to re-stick. Of course ideally no peeling should occur at all. I’ll keep an eye on my One10 cabs because one has old tolex and second iteration glue and one has new tolex and third iteration glue...

Edited by Merton
Stopped being distracted selling the missus so sorted this out proper like
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Wouldn't it make sense to use a waterproof adhesive under such circumstances...

Probably. Maybe they do and I’ve misrepresented them. I’m just recalling a conversation I had when my second cab arrived last month :)

23 hours ago, molan said:

MarkBass MultiAmp,

Especially at the feet... 

Hmmm...

6 hours ago, Merton said:

Probably. Maybe they do and I’ve misrepresented them. I’m just recalling a conversation I had when my second cab arrived last month :)

Err.. look carefully at what you wrote:

9 hours ago, Merton said:

if any peeing occurs

I think you may  have a sticky 'L'  key... 🙂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

At the price point BF are at I'd expect better quality, even my 70s Peavey TNT had bullet proofed covering......

That's actually a very fair point. It is, no question, in the high end price bracket for cabs and getting things like a quality finish sorted should go hand in hand. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

At the price point BF are at I'd expect better quality, even my 70s Peavey TNT had bullet proofed covering......

Im guessing small workshops could use stronger glues in the 70s compared to now

20 hours ago, Merton said:

I mentioned this on another thread, the chaps at Barefaced have recently changed their glue AND their tolex to a different brand. The original glue we can all agree was shite and after a few years they came to the same conclusion about the tolex. When left in warm environments the old tolex would shrink, and coupled with the crap glue caused the problems people encountered. The glue changed but the tolex didn’t so there were still “smaller” issues as seen with @funkle and @mcnach. They’ve now changed the glue again, and also the tolex, so as to mitigate the shrinking issues and the glue failures. This new tolex is easier to work apparently and therefore if any peeling occurs with this then it will be significantly easier to re-stick. Of course ideally no peeling should occur at all. I’ll keep an eye on my One10 cabs because one has old tolex and second iteration glue and one has new tolex and third iteration glue...

10/10.

Go to the top of the class! 

Detention over 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Merton said:

Thanks sir! I promise I won’t be naughty again sir. Please don’t tell my parents. 🤓

It's your wife finding out that you should be more concerned about.

£20 sales price?? Ok so you're then £20 up. 

But does that include P&P?

And she'll be entitled to 50% of everything else you have including your basses amps and cabs...£20 for all that?! Now that is a bargain! 🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Merton said:

Well damn, I hadn’t thought of that 🤣

For full disclosure she was totally aware of my ridiculous thread and thought it was all quite funny 🙂

It was indeed very funny.

Is she still letting you get a Glock amp?!

If not wait can I put a slightly wicked thought into your head? Wait until the Bergantino B|Amp hp (with the new 600W 8ohm power module) is out next year (just a rumour I'm starting, I know!**). I think it's gonna be awesome...

** although when I had a little bit of banter with Jim Bergantino over on TB, he didn't deny it! :) 

Edited by Al Krow