Why become a member? ×

Best way to reglue/hold peeling vinyl covering on BAREFACED cabs?

mcnach

I've had two Two10 cabs for around 3 years one, 2.5 the other. 

The covering on the newest one (May 2017) has started to peel away over the past few months. The other one (September 2016) seems to be slowly starting.

What's the best/easiest way to fix this?

I'm leaning towards getting a roll of black duct tape and tape the seams around the back and be done. Not the prettiest, but it can be done reasonably well and I know it *will* stay in place.

Glue is ok, but it seems like it would be a faff considering the gap is narrow at the moment so I'll have to deal with a lot of spill over cleaning afterwards, and it would presumably need doing all around the seams, even the ones that at the moment look ok, as it's surely just a matter of time.

I don't live anywhere near Barefaced HQ so I'm not going to drive to them with my cabs or post them (and I use them regularly, although it could be a good excuse to bring out my lovely TKS again)...

Any other suggestions better than using black duct tape? 

IMG_20190622_152015111.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20190622_152006039.jpg?dl=1

• Sad 1

Use masking tape to tape off one of the edges. Mix epoxy and using a fine syringe, apply the expoxy under the unmasked edge. Push down on to the cab. Any epoxy that spills goes onto masked edge. Remove masking tape on the unglued edge. Do the same in reverse for the other edge. Tada, all glued and that tolex won't be coming off again in a hurry*

*This is a time consuming ballache of a job though but will put the problem to bed.

Also, what is Alex's fascination with silver screws on black hardware?

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, Alex must have seen my comments here or on the other thread, found my email based on the serial number, and wrote to me.

I didn't want to get glueing because it looks to me like it'll be complicated to remove the excess glue afterwards. However, he says their water-based glue (the one that does seem to work) can be wiped off with a cloth and warm water after the tolex is glued back together. It looks like you need to warm it up, paint it, press both parts together and wait till it cools down. 

I think I'll have a go. The description sounded like even someone like me (hate DIY) could manage it.

Nice touch that Alex found me even if I had not tried to reach him. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Well, Alex must have seen my comments here or on the other thread, found my email based on the serial number, and wrote to me.

I didn't want to get glueing because it looks to me like it'll be complicated to remove the excess glue afterwards. However, he says their water-based glue (the one that does seem to work) can be wiped off with a cloth and warm water after the tolex is glued back together. It looks like you need to warm it up, paint it, press both parts together and wait till it cools down. 

I think I'll have a go. The description sounded like even someone like me (hate DIY) could manage it.

Where do you get the glue?

22 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Use masking tape to tape off one of the edges. Mix epoxy and using a fine syringe, apply the expoxy under the unmasked edge. Push down on to the cab. Any epoxy that spills goes onto masked edge. Remove masking tape on the unglued edge. Do the same in reverse for the other edge. Tada, all glued and that tolex won't be coming off again in a hurry*

*This is a time consuming ballache of a job though but will put the problem to bed.

Also, what is Alex's fascination with silver screws on black hardware?

That's a handy tip, using masking tape like that. So obvious now that you mentioned it, but I would not have thought of it... Like I said, not very DIY minded, myself :D

Thank you! I don't think I'll need it this time, but it's bound to come handy in the future for something.

I’ve got this on my BF One10 as well. But I’ve been so busy using it I haven’t got around to fixing it yet. Lol. Alex sent a free repair kit and instructions, absolutely great customer service, I just need to knuckle down to sorting it out. 

Pete

• Like 2

On 08/07/2019 at 17:35, mcnach said:

He’s a good guy I think. Seems to attract a band of haters on basschat when he posts but good to see that he keeps his eye on it here :)

• Like 3

I've been thinking about this too, as my One10 and Two10 have both reached the stage where they're really too bad to leave any longer.  IMO even if you decide to tape the join, you're better off re-fixing the loose Tolex first.  Instead of gluing, I'm considering using my staple gun across the join and then taping on top; or getting some thin/narrow but stiff black plastic strip and stapling through that.  Might look a bit naff tho with the bright staples showing.

2 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

I've been thinking about this too, as my One10 and Two10 have both reached the stage where they're really too bad to leave any longer.  IMO even if you decide to tape the join, you're better off re-fixing the loose Tolex first.  Instead of gluing, I'm considering using my staple gun across the join and then taping on top; or getting some thin/narrow but stiff black plastic strip and stapling through that.  Might look a bit naff tho with the bright staples showing.

Can you get black staples?