Why become a member? ×

Swing Jazz, Quilted maple top.

Very, very pretty. This might be of interest:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Bass-Guitars/4713/m.html?item=202609398256&_ssn=swingshop

Downside with the green quilty one is that the fretboard looks very like rosewood, and it doesn't say it's not, so CITES would be a concern.

Quite glad I'm not prone to impulse purchases because this is making me come over all impulsey...

Edited by Bassassin

3 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Very, very pretty. This might be of interest:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Bass-Guitars/4713/m.html?item=202609398256&_ssn=swingshop

Downside with the green quilty one is that the fretboard looks very like rosewood, and it doesn't say it's not, so CITES would be a concern.

Quite glad I'm not prone to impulse purchases because this is making me come over all impulsey...

CITES only asks that both the sender and receiver have the correct documentation regarding the wood, as I understand it.

3 hours ago, NikNik said:

CITES only asks that both the sender and receiver have the correct documentation regarding the wood, as I understand it.

Which is fine, as long as that happens - if it doesn't, customs will confiscate the instrument and destroy it, and the buyer will be unlikely to be entitled to a refund.

I've heard enough horror stories to be wary - and even if the documentation is obtained, it's not cheap, it'd likely add another £100 or so to the cost of this bass.

I think CITES regs as applied to instruments is up for review at some point soon but until then, personally I'd avoid rosewood.

4 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Which is fine, as long as that happens - if it doesn't, customs will confiscate the instrument and destroy it, and the buyer will be unlikely to be entitled to a refund.

I've heard enough horror stories to be wary - and even if the documentation is obtained, it's not cheap, it'd likely add another £100 or so to the cost of this bass.

I think CITES regs as applied to instruments is up for review at some point soon but until then, personally I'd avoid rosewood.

£100? I thought it was less than that. Or are you referring to the Master, one-off application that allows you to handle as many certificates as you need? Must go look again.

6 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Might want to look at sellers rating. Seems their feedback is only 12 - so I know I'd be cautious!

Everyone has to start somewhere and he does have 12 out of 12. Having said that, I'd collect if I was interested, so I could check it out thoroughly, but then I always do on the rare occasions I buy an instrument.

59 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Everyone has to start somewhere and he does have 12 out of 12. Having said that, I'd collect if I was interested, so I could check it out thoroughly, but then I always do on the rare occasions I buy an instrument.

Like to see you go collect it from South Korea!

2 hours ago, NikNik said:

£100? I thought it was less than that. Or are you referring to the Master, one-off application that allows you to handle as many certificates as you need? Must go look again.

Seem to remember the fee for each certificate being about £50 - admittedly that was when this first became relevant & I was trying to estimate full cost of a potential Japanese import at the time. It's likely the export certificate fee differs between countries.

Hopefully it shouldn't matter for much longer - apparently the revised proposal was due to be considered in May, and if agreed, enacted 90 days later. Can't find any info on what the outcome was, though.