Why become a member? ×

Tell me about Gibson EB 0 or EB 3's

wrinkleygit

Since migrating from guitar to bass many years ago I've been lucky enough to own a fair selection of basses, however I've never had a bass with Gibson on the headstock. Now later in life my preference is for shorter scales & for some inexplicable reason the EB-0 & EB-3 series has popped into my head. I know very little about these so are there some long term users on here who can offer some thoughts or advice on different model changes, I know they lost the edge chamfering in the early 70's for example. 

One of my all time favourite guitars is my '72 SG std which I have owned since 74 so I know the disadvantages of the body shape when hung on a strap, mike b.

Muddy, thuddy, neckdiving beasts with a god-awful bridge design where the saddles fall out when you take the strings out, and rattle when the strings are in. Very limited tone-wise - the '70s pickup positioning helps a bit, and the bridge pickup adds a bit of a change, but really they're all about that thud. That may or may not be what you're looking for. If it sounds like I've got it in for them, I should point out I'm a fan - I've had two or three different ones over the years, and there's times and places where nothing else will do.

If you're looking for something a bit more useable, the new Les Paul Junior Tribute DC Bass is worth a look at, and the Reverend Mike Watt signature gives you a much more sensible pickup but much sillier colours.

• Like 1

I rate the current SG bass as one the best basses I own (have owned).  I fitted a Hipshot bridge and machines which resolved the bridge issues and neck dive.  The current neck pickup is not at all 'muddy' unlike that in my (long gone) EB2.  The low weight and good balance when using it sitting down are a big plus.  Edge chamfering makes it very comfortable.  With TI flats I can get a good range of tones and it records to DI stunningly well.

Barry Moorhouse & Tony Bacon - The bass book (1995)
Reference section - Gibson

single pickup
- EB (1970)
- EB-0 (1959-61 v1, 1961-74 v2)
- EB-0L (long scale, 34.5")
- Electric bass, EB-1 (1953-58, 69-71)
- EB-2 (1958-61, 64-70)
- EB-4L (1972-73, long scale)

two pickups
- EB-2D (1966-72)
- EB-3 (1961-79)

There are quite a few other models like the six string EB-6 (three versions), T-bird, Les Paul, Victory, Melody Maker, Q-80 etc.

I had an EB0. Bought it when I was 18. My first "pro" bass. The only instrument that I have truly disliked. The sound was awful, didn't fit the band I joined so it was no surprise that no one in the band liked it either.

The singer lent me a Danelectro Longhorn lyre bass which was OK. It got me out of a hole and at least everyone else liked my sound after that.

ACG make some very nice short scale basses.

2 hours ago, wingnutkj said:

Muddy, thuddy, neckdiving beasts with a god-awful bridge design where the saddles fall out when you take the strings out, and rattle when the strings are in. Very limited tone-wise - the '70s pickup positioning helps a bit, and the bridge pickup adds a bit of a change, but really they're all about that thud. 

Pretty much this. I would also add that the bridge design causes intonation problems and makes it really hard to properly set the action. Replacing it with a Babicz or a Hipshot makes a lot of difference.

I have owned a 74 EB3 for nearly twenty years. It does THAT sound you love on Cream and Free albums but it only does that sound. If you desperately need or want that sound then get one. 

If you want a really versatile, light weight shorter scale bass then I would look elsewhere. 

I’m a big fan of the EB aesthetic, and in some circumstances, the tone. Most of the shortcomings have been rehearsed above (and elsewhere), though a way around these - balance apart and if you’re willing to splash out - is Alembic’s Brown Bass and its various cousins. Thud plus anything else, a stable, easily adjustable bridge, and a beautifully contoured body (and stereo!)