Why become a member? ×

Basses for digging in

linusishungry

• 3 weeks later...

IMO "digging in" is a style that needs a particular set up. Raise the strings and lower the pickups. You might be losing some of the sound because the bass isn't set up for this style. That probably won't be the best set up for lighter playing techniques. If you are a P bass fan I'd suggest two P basses each set up differently. Also, what about the Geezer EMG's for extra punch for the "digging in" bass?

Playing at home my touch is light and delicate and low action is a dream. But live I always end up super aggressive and low action just kills the sound. No matter how hard I try to relax, it just doesn't happen. Its like a weird psycological disorder stops me from playing lightly as soon as there's other musos or audience. (It also makes me speed up at difficult bits, to make them even more difficult!) 

No option that to raise the string height. And probably get tendonitus in old age...  

3 hours ago, guyl said:

Playing at home my touch is light and delicate and low action is a dream. But live I always end up super aggressive and low action just kills the sound. No matter how hard I try to relax, it just doesn't happen. Its like a weird psycological disorder stops me from playing lightly as soon as there's other musos or audience. (It also makes me speed up at difficult bits, to make them even more difficult!) 

No option that to raise the string height. And probably get tendonitus in old age...  

I think most people end up playing harder at gigs, even if only a bit. It’s all about consciously trying to control it and not letting it run away with you. It does sound more of an adrenaline issue (fear, as I experience it!); adrenaline is not always your friend (indeed if you’re me it never is).

If you can’t learn to control it (correct breathing for starters), an alternative is to have a bass with lower action for everything but live, and another with higher action for live, saves you messing about with it.

One thing to bear in mind, Flea likes very low action and he absolutely hammers it, so it can work. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1