Why become a member? ×

Basses for digging in

linusishungry

I like to dig in quite a lot when I play bass. I currently play a Fender P bass because I love the warm fat round tone, but I feel it can lose quite a lot of that impact and sustain when you pluck the strings really hard. I feel like you get the best out of it when playing more lightly. So my question is, what basses are out there that people feel work really well and still pack a punch and keep their bass-iness and fat sound even when you're plucking really hard?

Try double bass with action at 2 centimetres at the octave and an old Schaller pickup at the end of the fingerboard. You'll get the bass you want and you'll be digging like a mad man.

Seriously, put some heavier gauge strings on your P-Bass, raise the action to 3 millimeters under the E string at the octave, have your neck relief correctly adjusted and lower your pickup. Then you'll be called the undertaker !

• Haha 1

On 05/07/2019 at 17:41, linusishungry said:

I like to dig in quite a lot when I play bass. I currently play a Fender P bass because I love the warm fat round tone, but I feel it can lose quite a lot of that impact and sustain when you pluck the strings really hard. I feel like you get the best out of it when playing more lightly. So my question is, what basses are out there that people feel work really well and still pack a punch and keep their bass-iness and fat sound even when you're plucking really hard?

Raise your action?

Seriously, what sort of question is this?

90% Fingers,i like the Jazz style set up .That back pick up is ideal for digging in on the last bit of string to get the bite .My Sadowsky metro really picks the tone up across onto the G and D strings without them getting lost.The other side of that is I like to move up and down the E string for max bottom end when needed