Why become a member? ×

Split coil P sounding like a single coil?

I have a P bass which I love, it's got a split P pickup, but the sound isn't there for me, I really like the classic 51 style P bass tone, and can't seem to get the right sound, so thinking I need to change the pickup.

Is there a split P pickup which sounds like a single coil, i.e. warm, fat with fast attack and fast decay?

45 minutes ago, markdavid said:

Is routing for a 2nd single coil an option? Could get some really interesting tones with the 2 pickups

Not really. Looking for a direct split coil replacement, otherwise I would have to hack the routing, pickguard or body to the bass I love. Just can't do it.

7 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Not really. Looking for a direct split coil replacement, otherwise I would have to hack the routing, pickguard or body to the bass I love. Just can't do it.

Fair enough, I can understand that, I know it will be more expensive but maybe get a quote on having a pickup custom made

You can get in a similar ballpark, but for THE 51 single coil it can be tough: I have both a 51 and a split P, and to me what really gives the 51 its peculiar tone, attack and fast decay is mainly the single pole piece per string. It can also be problematic at times (try doing a bend on higher frets and the volume massively drops) but is definitely its own mark.

I also have a Duncan Quarter Pounder 51 coil which tames that effect thanks to the larger poles, but in the end I kept a Bare Knuckle mounted for "that" tone.

You may just find that the P pickup you have in the bass just isn't dealing up the tone you are after. Maybe have a look (or rather listen) to some of the P bass pickup shoot-outs on YouTube to get an idea what it is in the tone you are listening out for. The Seymour Duncan shoot-out is pretty good with Will from The Bass Channel. I also think that Andy Irvine is always dealing up good sound bites too. 

Funnily, my favourite P pickup sound at the moment is in my Fender, but I've actually no idea what the pickup is! Maybe I need to ask the combined experience of Basschat to identify it. Lovely and warm in the low end with a clarity of a single coil in the top end. Really lovely and sounds like the kinda thing you might be after too!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=p+bass+pickup+comparison+

Just been listening to The Tone Magazine review (second in the list) and actually my bass does seem to sound a lot like the Custom Shop '62 (listen through decent speakers or earphones as the reviews sound pants on laptop speakers).