Why become a member? ×

Bass Players & Hats

Teebs

4 minutes ago, Teebs said:

:(

No, really.

I just found a bit of it on an old external drive and honestly it's so awful I'd want to re-write it before anyone saw it and I'm not going to.

So there (stamps foot). Frankly, I'd rather wear a hat at a gig than re-visit the Hitler thing.

Edited by skankdelvar

11 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

No, really.

I just found a bit of it on an old external drive and honestly it's so awful I'd want to re-write it before anyone saw it and I'm not going to.

So there (stamps foot). Frankly, I'd rather wear a hat at a gig than re-visit the Hitler thing.

Uhh, excuse me, but you seem to have forgotten this... 

1 hour ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

@skankdelvar I'm going to have to insist that you start writing a blog. Do it. Do it now. 

Write new material..! 

Edited by DoubleOhStephan
Plea

4 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

No, really.

Gotta respect the man's wishes... 🎩 🤜

10 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

No, really.

So there (stamps foot).

smiley

smileysmileysmileysmiley     smileysmileysmileysmiley      smileysmileysmileysmiley   smiley

(making up for having no TLRTs :( )

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I think this one would suit you teebs, it lights up 😁

CEC10446-A9C1-4C3A-8721-D0E297D6AA3B.jpeg

That's lovely, that is! :)

Thank you Mr Reggae - it would also help me to remember what I was supposed to be doing on stage... 🤔

smiley

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, skankdelvar said:

The great danger with wearing a hat is that one may be mistaken for Greatest Living Shakespearean Actor and 24 carat wänker Sir Mark Rylance

4652.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

At first glance, I thought that was Arfur Daley! :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

No, really.

Which is perfectly fine and whilst I’m sure the blog is excellent, I for one would respect your wishes to let “I was Hitler’s Bassist” become a thing of fond and distant memory.

But there is definitely a clamour for more of the Del Var wit and wisdom. Your many contributions to this forum are, I think it’s safe to say, universally welcomed and appreciated - but is there not an opportunity for you to free yourself from forum constraints and give your imaginings full reign with an occasional series of blog articles?

A view from the porch, as it were. The bass-based equivalent of A Letter From America. Or just the collected memoirs of one who used to run a burger van with one of the most influential figures of the era?

Then, when you have enough material, gather it into a book and chuck it on Amazon to make a few quid like the rest of us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Which is perfectly fine and whilst I’m sure the blog is excellent, I for one would respect your wishes to let “I was Hitler’s Bassist” become a thing of fond and distant memory.

But there is definitely a clamour for more of the Del Var wit and wisdom. Your many contributions to this forum are, I think it’s safe to say, universally welcomed and appreciated - but is there not an opportunity for you to free yourself from forum constraints and give your imaginings full reign with an occasional series of blog articles?

A view from the porch, as it were. The bass-based equivalent of A Letter From America. Or just the collected memoirs of one who used to run a burger van with one of the most influential figures of the era?

Then, when you have enough material, gather it into a book and chuck it on Amazon to make a few quid like the rest of us. 

+1 😉

1 minute ago, Si600 said:

I'm going to wear a hoody, with the hood up, a baseball cap and sunglasses next time so when I stuff it up no-one will recognise me after we've finished 😆

The only problem being - people tend to notice somebody who appears to be trying to avoid being noticed. 🤔

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

The only problem being - people tend to notice somebody who appears to be trying to avoid being noticed. 🤔

Verdammt! Maybe if I wear nothing but a strategic sock a la RHCP they won't be looking at my face....

Does a Slipknot mask count as a hat?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Fundamentally, Teebs is toying with the notion of a hat. What we need is a poll.

Pretty sure we'd all vote for the most ridiculous/impractical hat we can think of and Teebs will end up going on stage in a giant pink sombrero.

Then we'll have to live with the guilt when he inevitably gets beaten like a pinata for cultural appropriation  by the outraged Mancunian Mexican community.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always refuse to wear one, even as my hair starts to thin (I've been lucky to get to my 40s before this has been mega noticeable).   Some may pull off the "cool bassist in a hat" thing, but I've always thought I would always end up looking like a "fat cnut in a hat".

I would love to play in a cool hip hop type band where I could wear a cap backwards or something, but always seem to end up in suited and booted blues and soul bands.  I have had so many bands try to convince me to wear some sort of pork pie or wide brimmed trilby thing, but I always refuse.  I felt it was right to make this stance after I left my last blues band and the next bloke, who didn't look too different to me - always had a trilby on - ugggh.

I think my fear of looking a cliche comes from around 1993 when I was into acid jazz and funk, tie dye etc but my mate convinced me to go and see the US blues man Walter Trout at the Mayfair in Newcastle.  He was great but I remember his stocky bass player wearing a long leather jacket and wide brimmed hat.  Even worse, his keyboard player had Brian May hair and spandex leggings printed with a keyboard all up the side of his legs......

That was out of date even then.....

Edited by Huge Hands
  • Haha 2