Why become a member? ×

Dodgy deal via Gumtree? PayPal protection??

solo4652

11 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

A quick Google search implies that a gift can be disputed. It looks like some forms of funding e.g. credit cards, then the rules change and PayPal have to abide by credit card regulations which are different!

Some folking twits must lie awake at night thinking of how to scam others. Grrrrr.

Yup !

These payments can be reversed just like a normal Paypal payment. They can be reversed if funded by a credit card, Bank account or even if the funds are in the senders paypal account.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fleabag said:

so, i contacted my bank and got them to reverse the payment.

Suddenly, PP took notice

I did exactly the same thing. Pay Pal didn't want to know until my bank reversed payment. Suddenly I started getting phone calls from them at 0800 everyday asking for their money. Now they were calling me, I got my point across. I got my money back from a vendor who I'd returned goods too (not as described).

Pay Pal are tu7ds of the first order.

Edited by Billy Apple
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, fleabag said:

I had over 100 new kitchen tiles " go missing "  from Ebay.   I paid for the goods via PP.   I was told by PP that they had proof of delivery from the courier.  Trackable doesnt always mean a signature is required.  The courier hits a few buttons on his courier pad to say the item has been delivered. Thats all PP / Ebay need.

After a few weeks of messing around with messaging ( had to do it on Facebook with My hermes ) who denied everything. They dont have a customer line anymore ( no surprise ) so FB is the only way.  In the end, i found out the courier had delivered the tiles to the Chinese Takeaway  30 yards away, who in fact never received the goods.

I got so hacked off with the courier ( who probably stole them ) and the seller, who didnt give a hoot. and Ebay and PP who didnt a give a hoot either, so after about 7 weeks or so, i contacted my bank and got them to reverse the payment.

Suddenly, PP took notice ... i paid twice because he only sold in bundles, and i needed 2 bundles to complete the job, but for some reason, PP only reversed one of the payments,  and that caused more mayhem.

But the bank of HSBC helped and i got all the money back, but only because i got my teeth sunk in like a Jack Russell with a rat.

Bar stewards, the lot of 'em.

I had to revert to claiming money back via my bank a few years ago. I bought something off eBay which never arrived. The guy originally had perfect feedback, after my item didn’t arrive, it seemed that many other people’s didn't. Neither PayPal or eBay wanted to know, NatWest refunded me in a few days. I just had to send copies of the transaction, and screenshots of his now less than perfect feedback.

• Like 1

If you use a direct debit for PayPal so that any transaction automatically comes from your bank account the bank won’t refund you for any purchase. That’s what they told me. It’s only when you transfer money each time to PayPal.

Bank of Scotland told me they don’t refund if your PayPal is paid by direct debit. I lost £130 when Gift Experience went into liquidation. They said the payback scheme is only for card payment protection. Was over 6 mths before I knew about it so PayPal not interested. Maybe I should change to a better bank.