Why become a member? ×

Most Excellent Bass Youtubers

stewblack

Not read the whole of the other thread detailing the more annoying Youtubers, but it got me to thinking about a list of those we find useful, informative, helpful and so forth. 

I like Constantine Isslamow for instance. Seems a nice guy and his stuff is usually on the money. Who have you found that you like, for any reason?

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ah this is more like it 👍

Constantine is great, always bang on and absolutely nobody can accuse him of showmanship or gimmicks 😉

The guy posted above with all the masks behind him is equally as good. I had to learn 'The Real Me' by The Who and he had done a normal speed and a slowed down version which really helped me. 

Also like Paul Wolf (how-to-play-bass.com) for simply learning fun bass lines that I might not necessarily ever have looked at. 

This one I can imagine for many should be in the other list and isn't bass, but he does do basslines so it sort of counts, but I find myself enjoying his videos and enthusiasm. It's Doctor Mix, an Italian guy who's massively into keyboards and electronic music. 

• Like 3

When I first came across him it was fashionable to like Scott Devine. Now the trend is to knock him of course,  (these things go in cycles) but luckily for me I don't really follow fashion so I'm happy to add him to this list. I was learning so much useful stuff I enrolled on to his academy and have benefited hugely. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

Not read the whole of the other thread detailing the more annoying Youtubers, but it got me to thinking about a list of those we find useful, informative, helpful and so forth. 

I like Constantine Isslamow for instance. Seems a nice guy and his stuff is usually on the money. Who have you found that you like, for any reason?

He is actually a member on here. I told him by email that he was getting big appreciation on this forum

Another Constantine fan here. It always seems like, no matter what obscure stuff my band wants to play next, Constantine had usually got a video of it. And it's always solid, no drama, bass playing. I like him.

I'm also a big fan of Infusion26. He has a really wide range of covers, mostly from the 60's through to 80's. Again,  suits my band down to the ground. And he is another where it's all about music. No bigging himself up. No 'click on the link'. Just solid, well played, covers.

52 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I also use Cover Solutions a lot, purely because he seems to cover a lot of the stuff I end up playing. It’s a Patroen channel, but I really don’t have an issue with that for the quality of content he provides. 

+1 for Cover Solutions, lots of variety, often he'll have two versions too, one with backing track, one isolated bass. 

Just out of interest, when do you have an issue with Patroen?

7 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Valid question, but why do I have the feeling that....

FC89F190-8397-44B6-B90B-71AFF1F433E7.jpeg

Hahaha I don't know dude, maybe because we disagree on whether strikers are better than defenders at taking penalties? 😂😂 

No, it's a genuine question, I'm genuinely interested. I've tried to phrase it from an unbiased perspective not to influence your response.

Full disclosure, I'm not fan either (mainly due to being influenced by Jordan Peterson ((and others)) views on their censorship), but would like to hear others perspectives on it.

Maybe this should be its own thread, I don't want to derail this one..? 

• Like 1

While not instruction videos, I've been learning a lot recently form Nick Campbell, who plays in Pomplamoose -- just rock solid in the pocket nice basslines ... like:

He also plays in scary pockets, who have also have Sam Wilkes on bass, who is just so enthusiastic and worth learning from, like here:

• Like 2

Great Idea for a thread!

Another +1 for cover solutions from me. No nonsense, perfect technique and tabs. He does loads of very varied covers too, so there's something for everyone.

I'm looking forward to checking out the others mentioned here; there are more crappers than gooduns on YT so it's very useful to highlight the ones who can generally help those of wishing to learn.

11 hours ago, Deedee said:

I think this fella is great. Just cracks on and has a great selection of basses too. I particularly love the sound of the T40 Peavey he uses on this one:

Nice bass. I' ve got a GAS.

• Like 2

I'd like to give a shout for a couple of great YouTube bassists from non-English speaking countries.

The first is Edson Baretto, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsaBBwwJfnpfraPual1qtBw. He presents the basslines of popular songs. His approach is to present, without any spoken words, each section/riff/groove in a song separately. (Thus the entire piece is not played in one one go.) The music is presented in notation and tab as he plays each section.

Also, if you can understand spoken French, then Bruno Tauzin presents excellent videos, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZD0Ba4PzNeYlRzAoha-5iw. He does bassline covers, his own groove tutorials, the odd gear review and solo pieces of his own.

(Oh, and another thumbs up for Constantine Isslamow from me; I've been a subscriber of his for many years.)

• Like 1