Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ashdown Tubiness

stewblack

Just snagged this in a classic BC service station carpark trade deal. IMG_20190704_230331.thumb.jpg.5d5e6449003a34d82114ce3516da2baf.jpg

I got a tube amp I can actually lift and @Williams4S got a very special jazz bass. We both felt happy with the swap and remember kids bartering saves the planet. 

I'm a recent convert both to valve amps and to Ashdown gear in general. My SVT produces a sound which makes me go weak at the knees but hauling it up a flight of stairs means I barely have knees to start with. This beauty is 50% lighter so if it sounds at least  51% as good it will be a serious contender for Amp Number 1.

Why Ashdown? Basschat sold me on the company. So many people reporting back on the excellent customer service simply cannot be ignored. Also I have an ABM 500 (see here for more information) and it's just a great amp. Oh, and the Trace Elliot connection cannot be ignored! 

So here I am. Possibly one step closer to my ultimate set up. As things stand it is the CTM100, atop two BF 1x15 cabs and my Bass Collection Bruce Thomas Profile slung around my Gregory Peck. 

Its not my Trace Rig I grant you. But that's a thing of beauty rather than a practical tool!  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dem Jolie-blues said:

i have a BTA300,  a CTM100,  a CTM30 tweed,    the 100 stands out above the others,  good job fella.

Hi DJB , what are the main differences between the bta 300 and the ctm 100 as I’ve looked at both but never tried the bta 🙂

I've had some Ashdown pedals and didn't think too much of them, an acoustic pre-amp and the nate mendel distortion sig, but I've always fancied one of their tube / hybrid amps.

If I get back into a band then I might consider an ABM - and I've had Gas for a Little Stubby for some time.

Those CTMs look killer, does this mean the SVT is going up for sale?

On 08/07/2019 at 19:26, PJ-Bassist said:

I've had some Ashdown pedals and didn't think too much of them, an acoustic pre-amp and the nate mendel distortion sig, but I've always fancied one of their tube / hybrid amps.

If I get back into a band then I might consider an ABM - and I've had Gas for a Little Stubby for some time.

Those CTMs look killer, does this mean the SVT is going up for sale?

Once I'm satisfied that the CTM can do the job then yes, that's the plan. I really, really don't want to part with the Ampeg. It's kind of a holy grail amp for me but I'm 56 now with back, hip and shoulder problems and the Ashdown is half the weight.