Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

I've never used weed whackers, but I did try a set of the Superior Bassworks 'dirty guts' which are similar to weed whackers.  Personally, I found  them pretty good for slapping like a demented goblin but useless for any other style of playing, particularly anything that requires notes of a discernible pitch.

if you're going to be an occasional slapper, then I'd suggest Presto Nylonwound Lights or Innovation silver/golden slaps as you can still get a useful note out of the A and E (though I sometimes struggle with the E on both these sets). An interesting option, which I never get around to exploring, is a downtuned (i.e orch. tuning) set of Thomastik Superflexible solo guage - by all accounts you get the low tension needed for slap but enough note definition from the A and E to play a bloody tune.      

Hi @Jus Lukin I have indeed played with Weed Wackers
At the time, I was trying to learn slap upright bass - because I just couldn't quite "get" it.
They are very low tension, I mean VERY low tension!

As an aid to introducing me to slap technique, this was fine, and for that at least - they did the job

BUT. They are somewhat weak & flabby, and the E string was quite undefined and lack-lustre
They also took a very very long time to stretch and settle. I was having to re-tune between songs when they were first on the bass
After a while, I needed to re-tune every couple of songs, and it was some time before I could get through an hour of playing without needing to re-tune

Since learning on the Weed Wackers, I have progressed to using Innovation Silver Slaps, and I find them much better
They're louder, have more growl & better definition etc

The other thing with Weed Wackers, is that although they're cheap - the import charges & postage come to more than the price of the strings! So beware if you do decide to try some
I couldn't find anywhere in the UK or EU that stocked them

Hope this is helpful
Marc

17 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Interesting, thanks chaps!

Pizz is definitely the most important for me, as I'd like to use the bass for blues and country stuff, too. I'm not as obsessed with slap as many in the Rockabilly scene are, but I know they'll ask for it, and hey, I gots to pay the bills!

Slap Happy also have a steel-core nylon string- a happy medium, perhaps?

www.slaphappyweedwackers.com

At $60 a set, it's worth a punt. The premium set look interesting - Kevlar core G and D, steel core A and E.

You could look onto gut a like Swingmasters. Awesome synthetic gut strings where the e and a are round wound in copper to improve clarity and sustain. Been using this set for 2 years. Great for slap, tuning is great and sound through my realist is a real vintage thump.

Get them from Thomann.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2019 at 14:33, TheRev said:

if you're going to be an occasional slapper, then I'd suggest Presto Nylonwound Lights or Innovation silver/golden slaps as you can still get a useful note out of the A and E (though I sometimes struggle with the E on both these sets).  

+1 for the Presto Lights. I'm using them on my plywood bass,  mostly for Old-Time (Appalacian music). They work very well for the occasional slap and still produce a decent tone, at least on the top 3 strings. The E is a bit puny though. I went to a lower tension set than the Spirocore Weichs because my bass has headstock issues.

Not sure if this is an issue for you, but a Kevlar core string isn't going to work very well on a magnetic pickup.

• 1 year later...

I've had a similar conversation with a friend recently who is replacing the bridge on an old Selmer DB with an adjustable bridge he's ordered. Have you done a bridge fitting before Jus? I mean no disrespect to your skill or experience on basses, but shaping a new bridge is a heluva job and I ran a mile when my mate asked for advice 😓

• 3 weeks later...

An adjustable bridge is a great idea on your first doublebass IMO. I spent months trying different heights before I settled on 'my' height. If I started playing a different style of music, maybe it would change again. 

Just chipping in on strings. I've been having this very conversation (how to get best of both worlds, gut tone and slappability with articulation and definition) for about 15 years now, and I have a shoebox stuffed with more sets of trial strrings than my wife needs to know about.

Whackers, slap happy or any other, do a grand job for slap and roots. But if you want to get a bit more definition and articulation in th eE and A for pizz and more modern roots sound - forget it. Premium brands like SBW and Cordes Lamberts (if you can find them) are streets ahead of most other whackers. I dont know the premium Slap Happy's.

Rotosound4000 are a step up - possibly these are what was on that show bass you mention. Great strings much loved by rockailly slappers for decades ... but very rubber bandy so lack definition for pizz. I don't like them much, but they're easy to play.. I'd choose Cordes Lamberts any day. 

Innovation (Gold/Silver Slaps / Rockabillies / Super Silvers) are a MUCH better all rounder for a newbie who wants a gut like tone and easy tension, but still be able to jazz it up. A few tonal subtleties that'll annoy a perfectionist but when amplified they all disappear. Presto (= Eurosonic) Ultralight are pretty much the same. 

Also Innovation rope-core SOLO set, bumped down to orchestral, make a fabulous all round set with real punch and definition, but slap easily and have well-matched gut-like click. This set up never seems to have caught on but I seriously recommend it as a well hidden-secret that's very similar to the next step up...

... which is Pirastro's Evah Pirazzi, either Slap set with optional gut GD (£££) or Weich set. Great tone, damn good slapping, easy tension. Not quite Marshall Lyttle but sorry, you CAN'T have it all.

All the above can be combined with gut G and/or D. 

Slappity thud. Other strings are available.

• Like 3